Let's See Your Period Tortus Shell Camo Helmet Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's See Your Period Tortus Shell Camo Helmet Pics

Something I find quite odd is that you very rarely see film or still, period pictures of tortus shell camoed helmets. Is it just me? Prove me very wrong guys. Let's see'm.

Probably because the directive was not issued until 7 July 1918 by the Chief of the General Staff to paint all Stahlhelm into segments of green, yellow ochre, rust and brown. Assumedly, even the first helmets would not have been painted until some time in August. Operation Michael was over and the German Army was in a full withdrawal and armies in retreat probably think themselves too photogenic. So you are looking at a very, very short time-frame for photos to be taken. I have seen two that I know of.

Comment

Aaaaahhhhhhh. I see. Being more into WWII helmets, I didn't know that. Very interesting. I wish I could post pictures. I've got a varified genuine 4 color with terquose/blue in it. Ken N. has given me Kudos on it. Was this blue-ish color an official color?
      Originally posted by Tony & Kaiser
      Probably because the directive was not issued until 7 July 1918 by the Chief of the General Staff to paint all Stahlhelm into segments of green, yellow ochre, rust and brown. Assumedly, even the first helmets would not have been painted until some time in August. Operation Michael was over and the German Army was in a full withdrawal and armies in retreat probably think themselves too photogenic. So you are looking at a very, very short time-frame for photos to be taken. I have seen two that I know of.

Comment

Stephan,

Here is a period photo of a tortoise-shell camo M16 helmet for you. The tall soldier in the middle is wearing it.

Cheers,

Comment

I believe this one's (above) in L. Baer's "History..... book. Yea, this is the only one I've ever seen. Look at te guy showing his mess kit. He's shaking. Nervous. Lol

Comment

That's a post-war photo of Bavarian Freikorp soldiers with von Epp lion insignia. Nice photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephan Wahl
              I believe this one's (above) in L. Baer's "History..... book. Yea, this is the only one I've ever seen. Look at te guy showing his mess kit. He's shaking. Nervous. Lol
              Looks to me like an MP18 with a Trommelmagazin. Super photograph, who owns it?

Comment

Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock .....Wow these photos must truely be quiet rare indeed. .....

Comment

Stephan,

I think you have your answer! Such photos are very scarce.

Chip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X