Iron Cross group 1813

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron Cross group 1813

I never thought I would ever get very excited about Iron Crosses, especially being a die hard enamel collector, but check out what arrived today.

First the actual recipient wearing his Iron cross and the Russian St.George Cross (the later got lost over the last 192 years...)
    Attached Files

Iron Cross 1813

Most amazing is the condition. I am not able to see the seams on the Iron Cross frame:
    Attached Files

Comment

Iron Cross 1813

...and of course the other side:
      Attached Files

Comment

That is a sweet cross.
        Don
        pseudo-expert

Comment

I have compiled a very technical opinion on the above posted items. Please scroll down to view my thoughts and observations.

.................... .................................... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Who is it?

Would you the name of the person on the painting?

Comment

His last name might have been Schmidt, but that is all I know.

By the way, I am not the expert on Iron Crosses. If somebody knows more about this particular piece...go ahead and spill some wisdom.

One more detail: the Iron core rattles and it looks like it was soldered on the top left frame tip, only.
              Last edited by medalnet; 10-31-2005, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Very nice group
                How cool is it to have a picture of the man wearing the cross.

Comment

Originally posted by medalnet
                  I never thought I would ever get very excited about Iron Crosses, especially being a die hard enamel collector......)
                  Yes - Iron DOES have its merits!!

A stunning grouping Andreas.....

Marshall

Comment

A stunning grouping Andreas! I think that it's more than enough to get a membership at the holy grail club..
                    Besides that, the rather crude appearance of the cross and it's thin frame leads me to believe that it was awarded during the wars of 1813-1815. That makes the entire grouping even more special.
                    Antti

Comment

Andreas,
                      I saw this on both forums and it is a great group. Can you give us a better (larger and lighter) photo of the Iron Cross. From what I can see on one corner this might be a multi part frame, which is why you can see no seam. If so it makes this group even better, much more rare and valuable.
                      Dan Murphy

Comment

you are right, after I am looking at it now for a few days I realized it is a multi frame piece. Very hard to detect. The seems are amazingly finished.

By the way, the ribbon looks new, but believe me it is the old one. I tested it, it is SILK.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Andreas,
                          Without the Russian St. George medal this group has no value at all. Please just send it to me and I will exchange it for an unknown maker #14 GAB.
                          Regards,
                          Marc

Comment

...remember, you already found the #14 for me.....sorry, next time....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X