Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Von Lettow-Vorbeck medals

Hi,

Could anyone give the list of von Lettow-Vorbeck´s decorations? I didn´t find it anywhere!

Thanks in advance,

Douglas.

Hey Doug,

I don't have a list... but I have a pretty good picture showing them....

Comment

Would help if I posted the pic.... Duhhhhh
      Attached Files

Comment

full
        Attached Files

Comment

full size
          Attached Files

Comment

duhhh... wrong pic.. here is the right one
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the nice pistures!
              But somebody could be kind to this poor soul helping to identify his decoraions?

Thanks

Douglas.

Comment

The picture does not in fact show all of his awards. He received the Grand Commander's Cross with Swords and Laurel Wreath of the House and Merit Order of Duke Peter Frederick Louis of Oldenburg, which is not shown there, as well as the Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz, not shown. Pre-war, he received the Ducal Saxe-Ernestine House Order Commander 2nd Class, also not shown.

The Ordenschnalle he is wearing is his prewar one. Note that the Iron Cross 2nd Class and the Bremen Hanseatenkreuz (BremH) he's wearing are not mounted. Around the neck is the Pour le Merite with Oakleaves. Between the EK2 and the BremH is the Prussian Crown Order 2nd Class with Swords. On his chest is the EK1.

The Ordenschnalle is:

Prussia, Red Eagle 4th Class with Crown and Swords
                Prussia, Crown Order 3rd Class with Swords
                Prussia, Officer's 25-year Long Service Cross
                Germany, Southwest Africa Commemorative Medal
                Germany, China Commemorative Medal
                Prussia, Centenary Medal
                W******252;rttemberg, Order of the W******252;rttemberg Crown Knight with Lions
                Bavaria, Merit Order of St. Michael 3rd Class
                Bavaria, Military Merit Order 4th Class with Crown
                Bavaria, Military Merit Order 4th Class with Swords
                Russia, Order of St. Stanislaus 3rd Class with Swords

He probably received other awards he didn't wear here besides the three I noted. I imagine whichever Saxon duchy gave him the SEHO Commander 2nd Class probably upgraded it to a 1st Class with Swords. An upgrade of his Bavarian MVO to at least an Officer's Cross wouldn't be surprising. L******252;beck probably joined the other two Hanseatic cities in awarding its Hanseatenkreuz.
                Last edited by Dave Danner; 10-28-2005, 11:40 PM.

Comment

And before anyone asks again how I know he had the Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz, ...
                  Attached Files

Comment

He also had the 1st cl. Z******228;hringer L******246;wen RK with swords.
                    Antti

Comment

Lettow-Vorbeck PLM

I always thought he received his PLM during the african campaign!?!

Comment

He did receive the PLM in Africa. It is documented that the British commander sent him a note of congratulations.

Comment

Oh I see, its just that on the photo he doesnot wear his most recent set of orders ande decorations!I wonder why......

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz
                            He also had the 1st cl. Zähringer Löwen RK with swords.
                            Do you have a source for that? He did not have it pre-war, and given his rank, any wartime award would have been at least a Commander 2nd Class, and more likely a Commander 2nd Class with Oakleaves or a Commander 1st Class.

Originally posted by David Müldner
                            Oh I see, its just that on the photo he doesnot wear his most recent set of orders ande decorations!I wonder why......
                            In the photo, besides his pre-war Ordenschnalle, he is wearing only his wartime Prussian awards - PlM with Oakleaves, EK I & II, and KO2X - and the Bremen Hanseatenkreuz. The reason for wearing the Bremen award is that the photo is from an event in Bremen.

Comment

I have Erhard Roths Badens ordens verleihung 1914-1918. I thought about that too, that he should have gotten a higher class. The problem is that Roth does not say his first name. There are two von Lettow-Vorbecks that got a 1st class RK with X. The first is a Wilfried von Lettow-Vorbeck (19.10.1914) and the other is just "von Lettow-Vorbeck" (9.1.1918). I just made a quick judgement that this must be "the" Lettow-Vorbeck. But now I see now that It doesn't make any sence.
                              Antti

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X