Hoor Medal for Hannover Veteran 1914-1918

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoor Medal for Hannover Veteran 1914-1918

I saw this on the net somewhere and have a question, How could Hanover issue a medal, as the kingdom did cease to exist in 1866? Or was it a provincial or medal from the city of Hanover????

Thanks

David

The King of Hannover in exile in Austria, did commision the Langensalza Medal to honor those who fought in that (their only) battle during the 1866 war. However, I believe that this was an award from the City of Hannover. There were many city and state medals given to American veterans of WW1, so it seems likely that some German cities did the same to honor their fighting men. I know that just about every town had it's war memorial to honor the dead from that town. It would only have been right to honor the living as well.
    Dan Murphy

Comment

Are you thinking of the Hanover Lander veterans' association medal: 2.02.38 in Detlev's book? If so this is a provincial vets' medal-similar to the American Legion badges still issued today by the organization (and similar to many other "Lander" vets' associations during Weimar).
      Below is the Bavarian example:
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Daniel and McCulloh, THanks for the info, now I know what it is!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X