A friend's Pour le Mérite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend's Pour le Mérite

I went and saw my mate Ray the other day, hoping to impress him with my story of a recently acquired early 1957 RK, when he told me he had a Pour le Mérite. Once I picked myself up off the floor he said that it was bequeathed on to him by his grandfather (I think) so he was indeed a lucky man.

Well I paid a visit to him again yesterday upon the promise that he'd bring it in, I wasn't disappointed!

I'd like to invite feedback on history or manufacture of this piece as he's told me there has been some discussion on the maker...either meyerbauer or another maker whom I can't remember now

Maker mark

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hello:

I saw one just like it at the MAX in Charlotte. It was also examined by Andreas Ising and Stephen Previtera (the consensus was a Meybauer marked PLM in the style of Godet). We believe it was intended for funeral display, either on a sash or an Ordenkissen.

The seller was asking $1,100.00 USD.

Regards,

Charles

Comment

Yes, I saw that one as well, the price seemed reasonable considering. Both are of very good quality (for a one sided). Due to the marking, I would say not post ww2. Can anyone document whether Meybauer used this mark post WW2?
          Dan Murphy

Comment

That's very interesting Charles, being a complete dunce at PLMs is that because of its size or because it's one-sided?

Originally posted by epsomgreen
            Hello:

I saw one just like it at the MAX in Charlotte. It was also examined by Andreas Ising and Stephen Previtera (the consensus was a Meybauer marked PLM in the style of Godet). We believe it was intended for funeral display, either on a sash or an Ordenkissen.

The seller was asking $1,100.00 USD.

Regards,

Charles

Comment

Originally posted by bratwurstdimsum
              That's very interesting Charles, being a complete dunce at PLMs is that because of its size or because it's one-sided?
              Because it's one sided

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Wainwrigh
                Because it's one sided
                Righto!

Charles

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

These were indeed display copies intended for various purposes, including funeral cushions and rememberance frames but at least one PLMT wore a one-sided cross like this at reunions in the 1970s. This piece seems to be from the 1920s or early 1930s. It is a nice item, perhaps 'liberated' by your friend's grandfather from a house in Germany in WW2.

Bill Ballok

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X