Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marine Seeflieger?

Hello--

I was wondering if someone out there might be able to help me in tracking down some career info for the following pilot; I've tried looking high and low, but without access to any rangliste, haven't been able to find anything on him:

Leutnant zur See F. Popp
    I. Seeflg. Abt.

Unfortunately, I don't know his first name, and since my knowledge of Sütterlin is also pretty bad, the last name could possibly be 'Poss' instead of 'Popp'. I do know that he was stationed in Turkey around 1917-1918, if that helps. Thanks to all for anything anyone could provide...

Hallo Freund!
    I have asked for you in another forum, that's the information I can get from Glenn:

Hi Otto,

Leutnant zur See der Reserve Friedrich Popp (18.9.15 F2f) born 6 Feb 1892.

In the I. See-Flieger-Abteilung from from Nov 1917 and Sd. Kdo. i.d. Türkei, Leit. d. Seeflg. St. an. d. Dardanellen until wars end.

Retired 16 Dec 1918, Charakter as Oberleutnant z.S.d.R on 21 Nov 1920.

Regards
    Glenn

When you need something about WWI Aviation, you can go to:

www.theaerodrome.com

Regards,
    Otto

Comment

More information, now of Gunnar:

Hi Otto

Some minor added information about Lt zS dR Friedrich Popp (O).

He did join SFS Bug (auf Rügen) on 14 Jun 17 for observer training. On 25 Jun 17 he was sent further to SFS Flensburg for a five week of further training...

Circa 1 Aug 17 he returned to Bug but was later in the autumn sent to Turkey. On 1 Feb 18 he did receive the observers badge....
      I have that he served within SFS Chanak Kale in May 1918, but the information that he was commander of one the Marine units within the "Wasserfliegerabteilung" is unsure...at least I havent find any verification of that yet...!?

Gunnar

Comment

Hi ...

Charakter as Oberleutnant z.S.d.R on 21 Nov 1920
        Shouldn't it be 29.11.1920?

Do you also have interest in his service before his time by I. Seeflieger Abteilung?

Regards
        Diesel

Comment

Thanks to all--you guys are amazing! Several years ago, I was lucky enough to acquire this fellow's engraved Seepilot badge for a small fortune (IMO), but have never been able to find much on his background til now. I'm still digitally challenged, so I have no photos of that type to post, but possibly with the help of another friend in this forum, I'll be able to post a shot of it soon. (also, I'm new to the site, but have been collecting for several years, and am pretty sure it's not a fake, but...I'm not reluctant to admit that I've been wrong in the past...). Engraving reads verbatim:

"Lt.z.S. F. Popp
          I. Seeflg. Abt.
          Turkei
          1917-1918

[Meybauer shield]
          835"

Unfortunately, I wasn't previously aware that he was an observer, too...I purchased it from a fellow who was liquidating someone's flight badge collection (possibly consignment?), and do vaguely recall an unmarked naval observer badge being offered at the same time, too (ie, there was definitely no connection listed between the two, but that's not to say the he might have been aware of one), though unfortunately, I couldn't have afforded to purchase both.

Diesel: I would be interested if you had more info on the rest of his career...separately, I guess there's no way to tell whether he might have had any 'second careers' in service during WWII, also?

Thanks again!
          Last edited by Gaffken; 09-07-2005, 11:02 PM.

Comment

My Prussian brother!

I would dearly love to see that badge! Perhaps your friend will take a picture for us? And WELCOME to the forum!

Regards,
            Marc

Comment

Hi Gunnar!

What would the source of your data be? I have a relative wo also was in the Seefliegerabteilung...would there be any inof on his training in to? his name was Wilhelm Müldner and this is his further career:

8.1914 Diensteintritt im Freiwillige Marine Flieger Korps, 7.1915 II. Seeflieger-Abteilung, 1.1916 I. Seeflieger-Abteilung Station Bulgarien und II. Seeflieger-Abteilung, 24.5.1917 Leutnant der Reserve der Matrosenartillerie, 9.1917 II. Adjudant der Stab der Seeflieger-Abteilung, 5.1918 Marine Flugchef,

Thanks a lot!!!

David M

Originally posted by Rendsburg
              More information, now of Gunnar:

Hi Otto

Some minor added information about Lt zS dR Friedrich Popp (O).

He did join SFS Bug (auf Rügen) on 14 Jun 17 for observer training. On 25 Jun 17 he was sent further to SFS Flensburg for a five week of further training...

Circa 1 Aug 17 he returned to Bug but was later in the autumn sent to Turkey. On 1 Feb 18 he did receive the observers badge....
              I have that he served within SFS Chanak Kale in May 1918, but the information that he was commander of one the Marine units within the "Wasserfliegerabteilung" is unsure...at least I havent find any verification of that yet...!?

Gunnar

Comment

Hi

Oberleutnant z.S.d.R. Popp served before his time in I. Seeflieger Abteilung by:

Started in the navy 1.4.1912.
                "Lothringen" until 1.1915.
                "Lübeck" until 5.1915.
                I. Matrosen Division until 7.1915.
                "Kaiser Friedrich III.", WO until 11.1915.
                "Wettin", WO until 2.1916.
                Stab d. B.M.A. in Libau until 5.1917.
                I. Seeflieger Abteilung until 11.1917.
                Sonder Kommando in der Türkei until end.

I found in "Der Krieg in den türkischen Gewässern":
                "Erwähnt seien hier der am 2. April 1918 mit fünf Seeflugzeugen unter führung des Stationsleiters, Leutnant zur See der Reserve Popp, durchgeführte Nachtbombenangriff auf die Hafenanlagen von Tenedos, dem am 26. Mai ein gleicher Angriff auf die Fluganlagen der Insel Imbros folgte"

Medals in Rangliste 1918:
                EK.II. and SA3b with swords

Hi David

Concerning Müldner I can add that he started service the 22.8.1914 and went out of service 21.1.1920. Your info"5.1918 Marine Flugchef, " should be "Marine Flugchef, zur Verfügung". He got the EK.I.

Regards
                Diesel
                Last edited by Diesel; 09-07-2005, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Hi Diesel,

So that would mean he wasnot in active service? Still wondering what a Marine Flugchef did though....

Thanks

David

Hi David

Concerning Müldner I can add that he started service the 22.8.1914 and went out of service 21.1.1920. Your info"5.1918 Marine Flugchef, " should be "Marine Flugchef, zur Verfügung". He got the EK.I.

Regards
                  Diesel[/QUOTE]

Comment

Hi David

He was in active service as you wrote in your previous message:

8.1914 Diensteintritt im Freiwillige Marine Flieger Korps, 7.1915 II. Seeflieger-Abteilung, 1.1916 I. Seeflieger-Abteilung Station Bulgarien und II. Seeflieger-Abteilung, 24.5.1917 Leutnant der Reserve der Matrosenartillerie, 9.1917 II. Adjudant der Stab der Seeflieger-Abteilung, 5.1918 Marine Flugchef

Regards
                    Diesel

Comment

Hi Diesel,

Yes, I nkew that, but I was just wondering what was the daily work of a Marine-Flugchef?

Thanks

David

Originally posted by Diesel
                      Hi David

He was in active service as you wrote in your previous message:

8.1914 Diensteintritt im Freiwillige Marine Flieger Korps, 7.1915 II. Seeflieger-Abteilung, 1.1916 I. Seeflieger-Abteilung Station Bulgarien und II. Seeflieger-Abteilung, 24.5.1917 Leutnant der Reserve der Matrosenartillerie, 9.1917 II. Adjudant der Stab der Seeflieger-Abteilung, 5.1918 Marine Flugchef

Regards
                      Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel
                        Hi ...

Shouldn't it be 29.11.1920?

Do you also have interest in his service before his time by I. Seeflieger Abteilung?

Regards
                        Diesel
                        Hi Diesel,
                        You're right!
                        Otto

Comment

I think Stogieman would be very interested in seeing your badge. Bist du wirklich Ostpreusse?

Comment

Diesel,
                            Thanks so much again to you and the others for the great quantity of valuable information; I definitely wouldn't have been able to track any of this down without your kind help. Hopefully with Marc's (Flak88's) help, we'll be able to post a scan or two by this weekend for Rick, VtwinVince and any others.

And...I'm not East Prussian per se, however, the village of Gaffken (in western Samland) once was...it's in Russian hands at the moment.
                            Last edited by Gaffken; 09-09-2005, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Here are the pics that Gaffken sent me:

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X