Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prussian Sub Badge by Paul Meybauer

Hi:

Does anyone know the value on this WW 1 U-boat Badge. Appears to have the Meybauer hallmark. Thanks,
    Steve
    Attached Files

Reat

Rear
    Attached Files

Comment

Hallmark

Hallmark
      Attached Files

Comment

Steve B,
        Nice sub badge, it also has a classic Meybauer pin. It looks like a real good piece to me. I am not up on current prices so well, but I would say $250 to $350 range.
        Daniel Murphy

Comment

Sub Badge

Dan:
          Thanks for the comments. I had anticipated it might bring a bit more. As you said, current values might be higher.
          Thanks,
          Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

Strange effect on the obverse of the badge (a ?laquer) but the back looks great. Re price, I'd suggest double Daniel's estimate.

Regards
            Mike K
            Regards
            Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

I'd suggest double Daniel's estimate.
              Mike,
              Damn, I need to get out more!
              Daniel Murphy

Comment

Looks good to me. I agree about $700.

Gary B
                ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

sub badge

Thanks guys. I'll be putting out some Bavarian air badges.

Steve

Comment

Regarding this particular badge, which is currently posted on the e-stand, I would greatly appreciate comments or confirming remarks from Forum members regarding:

a) the "strange effect on the obverse of the badge", as noted by Mike K. in his posting above; and also as noted by Steve B. in an earlier thread (entitled: "U-Boot KA by Maybauer" (sic) started 03-07-2004: ie. "my badge has some green stuff on it that I have not cleaned."

Is this likely to be remnants of a lacquer; simply patina, or perhaps verdigris?

b) the authenticity of this badge as a period one, ie. pre-1945, whether from the 1920s-1930s or 1940s? Comments in the thread above only indicate that it "looks good". Can anyone provide some reassurance on this point, please?

Thanks,
                    John

Comment

John,
                      Since the sub badge was not introduced until 1918, just about every private purchase badge would date from 1919 or later. The maker would have to acquire the drawings and specifications, make the dies, produce the badges and potential buyers would have to be aware that company made them, before one badge was sold. That is why I have stated 1919. This would apply to all but the original supplier to the orders chancellery. They would possibly have examples for private sale at the same time they were being issued. I would judge the badge we are discussing to pre-date the 1930's, due to the WW1 type Meybauer pin, the logo and the quality of the piece. As far as the obverse of the badge, I would say it is a combination of verdigris and patina. If you are looking at buying it, go for it. A nice one like this does not come along often.
                      Dan Murphy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X