• Show
Clear All

1813 ek 1 ?

Appreciate thoughts on this 1813 EK1.

Thanks in advance.

Gary B
    Attached Files
    ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Tough call. I like the frame construction but I do not like the extremely rough finish
    of the core.I also do not care for the patina and wear to the back side silver frame.
    It looks forced to me.

It's not one that I feel real comfortable with.

Comment

Here is an original with a similar frame.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response. One does not see many of the 1813 EK2s or EK1s on forums or for sale.

Nice EK2!

Gary B

Comment

1813 EKs are pretty tough to come by, and an EK1 is pretty much impossible to find. While I have 2 EK2s, I highly doubt I will ever own a EK1. Heck, even a 1870 "early issue" EK1 is extremely tough to find.

I was working with a Napoleonic era authority the other day, and discussed some items I have, and he told me most of the stuff out there was made in Germany in the 188Os.
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi,

I agree. A nice 1870 EK1 is hard to come by, which is why I was happy to post this 1813 for discussion (in an upcoming auction).

Gary B

Comment

I've never seen an original of this type, with the reverse loops. I believe this one is being offered by Bene Merenti.

Comment

Right you are an original period or even maybe slightly after made are super rare, I have been collecting EK's for 40 years. I have 2 1813 types as fillers one is what they think is a centennial cross produced in the 1913 time frame for display and another that may be produced 1870 -1900. As said fillers but the centennial one came from WW2 vet bringback. They are what they are and I too will probably never see an original period type. TPK

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
                  I've never seen an original of this type, with the reverse loops. I believe this one is being offered by Bene Merenti.
                  I have. When I bought my 2nd class, it was being offered as part of a family grouping.
                  The was my 2nd class, a first class and a device showing the family coat of arms. Unfortunately,
                  I could not afford to buy the entire group.

The Ek1 was made with the same type of construction style as my Ek2 and did have loops.
                  The condition was also similar. The core was slightly porous but smooth definitely not
                  rough like the one that started this thread.

Also, our old friend Biro has a 1813 like this only with one loop centered on each arm.
                  A forum search might yield a picture of his.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary B View Post
                    Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response. One does not see many of the 1813 EK2s or EK1s on forums or for sale.

Nice EK2!

Gary B
                    Thanks Gary.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X