Rot-Kreuz Ehrenzeichen in WW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rot-Kreuz Ehrenzeichen in WW1

--I've often wondered about these. What would the circumstances be for receiving one of these? I assume the criteria was the same for the german states, Austria, etc. - no? I've often seen different versions of these on medal bars with their share of combatant medals including EK's.
    --Didn't front-line MD's get the combat ribbons too? Is that it? Or could a soldier get one for life-saving efforts?
    Last edited by Bill M; 11-14-2002, 05:34 PM.

--Nobody?

Comment

check the back pages with a search on Red Cross-- this has come up before, so must be in there.

Comment

--Tried it, will try again...

Comment

Hm, I can't find it either! Ogh well, Prussian Red Cross medals were given for all sorts of things.

Here's a non-combatant bar from Lippe-Detmold in a New England collection (formerly mine! )
          Attached Files

Comment

Now that lucky Stay At Home got no less than FOUR NONcombatant WW1 awards as a CIVILIAN!

And yet
            Attached Files

Comment

Ayuh, THAT fellow had a horrible war, certainly six COMBAT awards (including surely an EK1).

So---

"who got Red Cross awards?"

Everybody!!!

Now that that's "cleared up"...

but seriously, the entire range of services, from Back Home fundraising, to service in military hospitals. MOST of the PRE-war Prussian awards seem to have been for the contributions received sort of "service."

These medals were awarded to ALL ranks. I have seen a post-war "WW1" one to a former Landsturm agricultural company private who was a Red Cross volunteer before WW1-- and into WW2.

But though there were over 100,000 3rd class medals awarded 1898-1920, they were NOT handed out willy-nilly to everybody, for "nothing much in particular." Of the 103 senior medical officers in the navy in February 1918, exactly 7 had the 3rd Class medal. Of the 82 senior (same "major" and up ranks) Reichsheer officers in 1924, there was one 1st Class, 3 2nds, and 15 3rds.

I'd say, given what I've been able to tell from groups, COMBAT medical personnel were more apt to receive "normal" combat decorations, and THEN perhaps a Red Cross Medal. Or that the Red Cross awards were more apt to be for HOSPITAL merit, rather than in the trenches.

Bottom line was, they could have been awarded to almost anyone for almost anything-- but the fact that they were not, indicates that an "above and beyond" level WAS maintained.

Comment

Red Cross Classes

Not long ago I bought from Stogie-Rick a seven place Doctors Ribbon bar with the two Red Cross decoration (the 4th and 6th positions). . . does this mean one is 3rd Class, the other being 2nd Class?

Comment

Hi David,

yes it is possible. Normally a guy had to return a lower class if he got the higher one, but the red cross medals could be worn together.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Here a lapel bow from my collection with some red cross awards:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Many thanx

I thought so but didn't want to 'assume'.

Comment

so show us that ribbon bar!
                        We are crazy for that stuff!

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Cased medal

a 3rd class in case of issue....

Comment

David: yup. The 2nd Class was assigned a higher precedence (see Regulations section on the Ribbon Bar Article) than a 3rd Class, so they are usually split up by other awards on a large bar. The only double Prussian Red Cross I have is a measly three, with a non-combatant Hindeburg Cross, in the "Confusing" Section of the Ribbon Bar Article.

Hey! I heard that!!! They are NOT "all confusing!"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X