Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this?

My first posting on this forum!!

A friend of mine has asked me to get some information on this!

There is a story attached to this, but to begin with what your initial reaction?

Thanks,

Allan
    Attached Files
    Looking for information on RKT KARL HUBER
    Stoßtruppführer AufKlAbt 20 (mot.)

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it'

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

It is similar to Hindenburgs Grosskreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Goldenen Strahlen, looks like its silver or something though. I thoght Hindenburg was the only one awarded this!!
      Originally posted by Allan Pilch
      reverse

Comment

Blücher Star

This is a reproduction. There's thousands of the reproductions. Not even a close reproduction, at that.

Comment

Alan -

There is an interesting aspect to this particular piece. The Hindenburg star is a descendent of the “Blücher” star which was created in 1815 (both of which, as Stogieman points out, there is an abundance of fakes referred to by sellers as "museum" or "display" copies). Both are similar in form - a Prussian style eight pointed star upon which is mounted an 1813 (Blücher) or 1914 (Hindenburg) Iron Cross. I believe that these stars were additions to previously awarded Grand Crosses of the Iron Cross.

Now, it seems that there were about eight Grand Crosses of the 1870 edition of the Iron Cross awarded; but, as near as I can tell, no stars. The piece shown here clearly has an 1870 cross on it; so if the above information and assumptions are correct, what we have is a copy of a piece that never existed. At the same time, while the 1815 and 1914 copies are quite abundant, this is the first 1870 piece/copy I’ve ever seen.

Thanks for sharing - interesting.

Wild Card

Comment

Is it just me or are the horizontal arms of the cross somewhat out of propportion?
            Originally posted by Wild Card
            Alan -

There is an interesting aspect to this particular piece. The Hindenburg star is a descendent of the “Blücher” star which was created in 1815 (both of which, as Stogieman points out, there is an abundance of fakes referred to by sellers as "museum" or "display" copies). Both are similar in form - a Prussian style eight pointed star upon which is mounted an 1813 (Blücher) or 1914 (Hindenburg) Iron Cross. I believe that these stars were additions to previously awarded Grand Crosses of the Iron Cross.

Now, it seems that there were about eight Grand Crosses of the 1870 edition of the Iron Cross awarded; but, as near as I can tell, no stars. The piece shown here clearly has an 1870 cross on it; so if the above information and assumptions are correct, what we have is a copy of a piece that never existed. At the same time, while the 1815 and 1914 copies are quite abundant, this is the first 1870 piece/copy I’ve ever seen.

Thanks for sharing - interesting.

Wild Card

Comment

The story, Allan.

Please,
              Otto

Comment

your seeing.......

............. the distortion of the "cross" from the curvature/shape of the star.
                In addition, the phrase "cross" is used loosely as it's not even a good facsimile of an original 1870 EK.

Comment

Originally posted by Rendsburg
                  The story, Allan.

Please,
                  Otto
                  Hi Otto,

The story is that this 'piece' was in the possession of a distant relative of Von Blucher.

There is even supposed to be some paperwork associating it with Von Blucher!!!

If the paperwork comes to light I'll let you know.

Allan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X