Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare Ek1 1914 with backplate

Hi everyone

This came in yesterday and it just talks to me The screews are the same as on my Preussian Pickelhaube dated 1887. If you look at the obverse on the plate you can se the contours of the cross - been sitting there for a while! This is one of the nicest EK's I have had. Unfortunatly I don't know much about this variant and would appriciate to be enlightened.

Cheers Thomas
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

My first impression is that I like it. BUT I have seen some fake crosses with this style backing plate floating around ebay. Yours does look like the pieces have been together a long time.

Comment

Hi Greg

Thanks for your comments. Can anyone tell me if this setup is dealt with in some referencework?

Cheers Thomas

Comment

Hi i have one virtually the same that i got from DN, i believe they are sometimes refered to as pilots crosses as they were favoured due to the very secure large rear fixings, mine is identical almost except the backing plate has only 2 holes. I will post pic when i get time.

Originally posted by Thomas Bendixen
              Hi Greg

Thanks for your comments. Can anyone tell me if this setup is dealt with in some referencework?

Cheers Thomas

Comment

Thomas,

You have yourself a nice example of a twin post, double brass nut, large disc EKI. As Sven mentioned this type was purportedly favored by German airmen for it's rugged attachment system.

If I'm not mistaken Bowen's book, THE PRUSSIAN AND GERMAN IRON CROSS, deals with this and similar variations.

I have the same variation in my collection for over twenty five years now. I also have two other double post examples that are missing the discs and one is also missing one of the nuts. Finding these complete with the large disc and both nuts is fairly difficult.

Nice EK!

Tony
                Last edited by Tiger 1; 08-05-2005, 08:24 AM.
                An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for all the help

Cheers Thomas

Comment

Thomas,
                    I as well have one just like this, your cross is appears to be silver but the backing and screws/threads are of a lesser metal since they do not show on the uniform. Notice the bubbled finish on the 4 hole backing plate, it is silver plated zinc like mine. My cross frame is silver plated and the brass/bronze is showing. Note mine has both screws but one is hexgon shaped and the other is square, both are brass and have been with this cross for many years. A very nice piece nevertheless ,

Daniel Murphy

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Bendixen
                      Hi Thomas - Are the screw posts on the horizontal arms of the cross as pictured here? I just got a similar EK1 and the screw posts are top and bottom on it. - Cheers, Bob

Comment

Normally they are top and bottom but I have seen them side to side. Same with pin backs. They can go both ways but top and bottom are more common.
                        hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks Greg. Here's mine for reference.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X