Amazing photo of 1860's Prussian Musician and girl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing photo of 1860's Prussian Musician and girl

My dad got this in the 70's or early 80's and is still amazed by it.
    The girl looks like a perfect example of a American Civil War era wife.
    Can any of you Imperial collectors tell me more about what patterns of uniform parts he is wearing?
    Also, feel free to share comments!
    Later,
    Karl
    Attached Files

closer view
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dunkirchen1940
      closer view
      Of course she looks like she could be American she probably has relatives in Milwaukee. At first glance I see that he is a muscian by his shoulders and he has a Prussian eagle infantry helmet. If you see a town in the photographer's id on the photo somewhere that would probably also be the town the soldier's unit was garrisoned in. This would narrow it down a very few possible units. Neat photo. Fred

Comment

My dad has many CDV's of German soldiers with the town names, but this one does not have any (at least that I can see, as it is mounted securely in a little frame). I would have definately say either East or West Prussia, or maybe even Pommeranian.
        Thanks for the input Fred!
        Karl

Comment

Hey Karl,

This photo is a little tough to date, as the Pickelhaube is blurry and it is hard to tell if it is an M1856 or an M1860, but the Preußen army wore these well into the 1870s. The Tunic is also hard to date accurately, as on a frontal photo, it is essentially impossible to tell the difference between a M1842 Waffenrock with the two large colored patches on either side of the front collar, which gave the appearance of a red collar and a M1867 with collar which was all one color dependant upon the service. Plus, that is the generic Preußen Pickelhaube Wappen was worn by many units, so that does not help much. A photographer stamp would have helped with the unit, but not the era unfortunately. What is interesting is that the Waffenrock is so tight; tunics from this era tend to be very large and full in the body. Great photo. sad though, we look at their faces, they have probably been dead 80 years. http://www.kaisersbunker.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply Tony! It is indeed sad that they have been dead nearly a century, as they most likely were very nice people.
            I will see if I can sharpen it any more to give more detail to the uniform.
            I will also post some other 1850's-1870's CDVs and photos that my dad has. They are quite facinating.
            Later!
            Karl

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X