Medal bar of Rittmeister Bodenstedt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medal bar of Rittmeister Bodenstedt

Rittmeister Bodenstedt served his entire career with Husar Regiment 13 (King Hubert of Italy) and was killed in action at Kutno on the Eastern Front on 16 November 1914.
    Leutnant 18.8.00 M10, probably vorpatentiert in 1902
    Oberleutnant 27.1.10 P12p
    Rittmeister 4.7.14 but senority cannot be determined due to his death

He attended the Militär-Reit-Institut around 1907. He was the Regimental Adjutant in 1912 and 1913 and had no awards as of May 1913. He received all three between May 1913 and February 1914. His Order of the Crown of Italy-Officer was gazetted in the Militärwochenblatt 21 February 1914.
    The bar consists of the Prussian Order of the Crown 4th Class; Italian Order of the Italian Crown, Officer Grade in gold maker marked; Italian Order of Saints Mauritius and Lazarus, Knight's Cross in gold maker marked.
    Why the Italians gave him two orders in six months will remain a mystery. Bodenstedt wore his foreign decorations at a time when Italy and Germany together with Austria-Hungary formed the so called Triple Alliance and were still allies. This ended the following year when Italy, signed the 1915 Treaty of London and decided to join the allies. Bodenstedt was already dead by then but his medal group remains. In the spring of 1914 it must have looked like he had a glorious career ahead of him.
    Attached Files

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Great bar and a great history, Bob! Thanks for sharing them both!
      George

Comment

Very unusual bar Bob. Thanks for sharing. A nice deviation from the usual EK2 bars

Comment

Stunning bar, thanks for posting,

Comment

A really great bar ...
            sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

Hi Bob!

Very cute bar in magnificent conditions I really love "Godet" medal bars... they are the best! To find a correct rossette on a ribbon of a foreign award on a German medal bar is very, very uncommon.

Congratulations! Great story, too.... what do you want more?

Ciao,

Claudio

Comment

Bob, Great Bar. I almost bought it myself. The research on it was done by one of the best. You maybe able to find a regimental history and get a pictures. Good Luck.
                Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Comment

"Husar Regiment 13 (King Hubert of Italy) and was killed in action at Kutno on the Eastern Front on 16 November 1914"

Bob, you know what division this was assigned to?

Comment

can anyone tell me what kind of orders the two italiens are, I mean, for what were they given??? Are they both peacetime "diplomatic" orders?

thank you and of course not to forget: BEAUTIFUL BAR!!!

Heiko

Comment

Fantastic bar!! Great story too. Do you have the hussar book and his biography?

Comment

This is what you get...........

.......... when you buy what "sings" to you. That is an awesome bar and yet again, a masterpiece by not just Godet, but by the guy who could ID the recipient!

<marquee> </marquee>

Comment

Brian, I have no knowledge of the next higher headquarters for this regiment.

Jeff, alas, no husar book and no biography other than the information provided by the former owner and earlier and current researchers. At this point I would settle for a first name.

Rick, you're dead on!

Comment

Originally posted by HeikoGrusdat
                            can anyone tell me what kind of orders the two italiens are, I mean, for what were they given??? Are they both peacetime "diplomatic" orders?

thank you and of course not to forget: BEAUTIFUL BAR!!!

Heiko
                            The two Italian orders are the Order of the Crown of Italy and the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus. I'm afraid I don't know what they could be given for. The current head of the Royal House of Italy still awards the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hunter*
                              Brian, I have no knowledge of the next higher headquarters for this regiment.

Jeff, alas, no husar book and no biography other than the information provided by the former owner and earlier and current researchers. At this point I would settle for a first name.

Rick, you're dead on!
                              If you find out let me know. My Grandfather was a divisional commander on the Eastern Front and I"m researching the photos to ID the people. You never know..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X