Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old style ribbon bar from the Siebentritt collection

Hi Guys.

This is the only old style ribbon bar I got from the Siebentritt collection.
    I Think Rick L. will IMMEDIATELY have the right ID.
    Sorry for the big picture, but the bar is really big.

Best regards

Daniel
    Attached Files

here the reverse:

The swords on the Württemberg Friedrich Order were attached later as he bumped up his peacetime Knight in a War Decoration.
    Attached Files

Comment

Siggghhhh! What a PERFECT bar! And some awards were incorrectly identified in Kube's auction catalog, thwarting us all. Luckily a Vertrauensmann from Daniel's sinister Spangennachrichtendienst was there in person to get the correct info, allowing an identification, of course, from the proper knowledge of these awards.

Jakob WEEBER (yes, 2-ee's), born 15 November 1872 in Schwabing, Bayern. Entered Württemberg army as Fahnenjunker 19.1.1891. Sekondeleutnant 20.5.92, Oberleutnant 15.12.00, Hauptmann 25.2.07, Major 28.11.14

He went from Inf Rgt 126 to China in 1900, serving as Adjutant of the IInd Battalion, 5th and 3rd East Asian Infantry Regiments. He returned to similar duties in Inf Rgt 120 before becoming a company commander.

He achieved an admirable array of awards, confirmed in the Deutscher OrdensAlmanach and the Wtbg MilitärHandbuch: Wtbg Friedrich Order-Knight 2nd, Baden OZL-Knight 2nd, China Medal for Combatants with no battle bars, 1897 Centenary and 1902 Baden Jubilee Medals, and the Italian Order of Sts Maurice and Lazarus-Knight. Rank Lists show that he remained in Württemberg during the Herero-Hottentot War of 1904-06, so that medal was the steel type for the stay at homes.

His peacetime Wtbg Friedrich Knight 2nd must have been replaced by a wartime Knight 1st with swords, probably before Italy entered the war and became an enemy nation.

He was killed in action with Infantry Regiment 180 before Thiepval, 26 September 1916.

Comment

Perfect like everytime!

In the 1913 Rank list he is listed with a peacetime Friedrich 1st class knight. Only a handfull of Württemberg captains had this Order as peacetime award.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Right, I was going by my earlier scribbly notes. So Weeber actually had been decorated THREE times-- and could only wear ONE award on his Friedrich ribbon--showing NEITHER of the earlier TWO awards!!

Württemberg was the WEIRDEST German state for awards I have ever encountered.

Comment

here a scan from the 1913 ranklist:
            Attached Files

Comment

Yup-- this is why MANY period references have to be consulted. The Ranglisten did not show campaign or jubilee medals-- but the OrdensAlmanach DID. Likewise, the Militärhandbücher at least gave Campaigns, which the Ranglisten did not.

Notice that there is nothing in the Ranglisten entry to indicate Weeber's China or Southwest Africa Medals, or his 1897 and (unexpected) Baden 1902 Jubilee Medals.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X