X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1870 Godet EK1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...544535197&rd=1

What all is wrong with this medal?
    Thanks for the assist. It just doesn't look right to me. Did Godet mm their medals with full name "Godet" or just a "G"?
    Last edited by AtlantaWalter; 07-10-2005, 02:02 AM. Reason: addition to text

hell
    it is a copy!
    greetings
    rene

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaWalter
      Everything.

This seller seems to have a bucket of them or it is the same cross that keeps getting returned, check out this thread http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=muffin

Comment

Specific faults please

Originally posted by Vadim K
        Everything.

This seller seems to have a bucket of them or it is the same cross that keeps getting returned, check out this thread http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=muffin
        Suppose the seller did have 2 or even 3 of these medals. What I need to know as a new collector is what in particular is wrong with the medal? What sticks out to you experienced guys and tells you it is a fake?

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the assist. It just doesn't look right to me. Did Godet mm their medals with full name "Godet" or just a "G"?
          hello
          godet mark with "godet" and with "G" both is possible!
          the neddle and the block is terrible! the original has a round needle !when you look to the front of the cross the crown do not look like an original !!!and original crosses was made with high carbon iron and look other!
          greetings
          rene

Comment

Suppose the seller did have 2 or even 3 of these medals. What I need to know as a new collector is what in particular is wrong with the medal? What sticks out to you experienced guys and tells you it is a fake?

Thanks
            The shape of the crown is wrong to start with. Start by investing in a good book on the Iron Cross. This is a known reproduction. I have seen many of this type of reproduction at Ebay.

Cheers.
            Peter

Comment

Did Godet mm their medals with full name "Godet" or just a "G"?
              My 1870 EK1 is marked with the full 'GODET' mark.

1914 Ek1's can be found with 'G' marks ...... but I have never seen an 1870 'G' marked piece that is good - this one included!

Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Biro
                My 1870 EK1 is marked with the full 'GODET' mark.

1914 Ek1's can be found with 'G' marks ...... but I have never seen an 1870 'G' marked piece that is good - this one included!

Marshall
                hello marschall!
                he hasright only1914godet has the marks G!
                greetings
                rene

Comment

Thanks for the pointers guys. It's rough being a newbie and not knowing what exactly to look for.
                  Last edited by AtlantaWalter; 07-10-2005, 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by non-soli-cedit
                    hello
                    the original has a round needle !and original crosses was made with high carbon iron and look other!
                    greetings
                    rene
                    Hello Rene,

I would like to see an original Godet EKI with a round needle. Also adding carbon to iron makes it steel. How would one test for the carbon content of steel or 'high carbon iron' without damaging the cross?

Just curious. Thanks!

Tony
                    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Well, for one thing, AtlantaWalter, dedub67 sells them which should tell you something. Pieces of History in Cave Creek AZ also sells them. To be specific, it's a piece of junk, sold on eBay by scavengers. Hope that helps, Renee or Jim.

Comment

Here is another one just like it. The sellers name is "militaryaction"
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...544066860&rd=1

Comment

Here's how 1870 Godet's are marked:
                          Attached Files

Comment

closer:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, appreciate the info. I had absolutely no idea that fakes were so common in the militaria market. I just got and started reading Soldat's " The reproductions-the posrwar years" and it is indeed an eye-opener. I think I'll stick with 1939 Iron Crosses and learn as much about them as I can. I also now look upon EBay as a great place to learn about fakes; it's just a shame there are not more and better pics of the stuff they are selling.
                              Thanks again
                              WALTER

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X