E-Bay Pour Le Merites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-Bay Pour Le Merites

There have been several and are still several PLMs for sale on E-Bay USA. They are ranging in upper hundreds right now. What is the overall consensus of these pieces? I am getting fairly good at distinguishing the RK fakes, but the PLM is still a bit of a mystery

mistery?

Originally posted by Brien
    There have been several and are still several PLMs for sale on E-Bay USA. They are ranging in upper hundreds right now. What is the overall consensus of these pieces? I am getting fairly good at distinguishing the RK fakes, but the PLM is still a bit of a mystery
    J, it is no mistery at all. Check my web page at www.medalnet.net there is a whole section on all possible variations that were made officailly for the orders chancelery.

A real PlM on ebay is a real mistery!

Comment

Hi Brien, I fear the PLM has entered into the ranks of the TR RK as one of the most suspected awards out there. Most are fakes and reproductions but the real damage is that most collectors who have not had the opportunity to study the history of the awards or had the ability to examine known originals, will just pass on any that pop-up (and wisely so). It has gotten to the point that even the poohbahs in the dealer world assume the worst. I have a friend who has a TR RK that was actually awarded to a member of his family. Not trying to sell it, he took it to the MAX and SoS shows and allowed many well known dealers mentioned in this forum to examine it. All said it was bad. I had an opportunity to buy a known original RK and passed because of my requirement that it must be able to sell when the time comes to rid myself of my collection. The same, sadly, is happening to the PLM. As people get better at making these badges, it becomes much more difficult for most to decern original from fake. Unless you personally know a potential buyer who is knowledgeable about the Order, opportunities to sell one at market value are diminishing IMO. Even with excellent studies, books and photos of the Iron Cross, there are serious disagreements on this forum concerning Iron Crosses. So, I fear, is the future of the PLM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brien
        They are ranging in upper hundreds right now. What is the overall consensus of these pieces?
        Well this in itself will tell you all you need to know. Originals cost as much as a small car in North America

Comment

Is there anyway to tell when the pieces were made? some are touted as being pre-1945.

As with the pre 45 RKs the PLMs are probably way out of my pricerange so I wouldn't mind buying a later manufacture that is as close to the original as possible. Where does one draw the line at the amount of a copy? I have seen them for as little as $150 up to 6,000!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by h009291
          Well this in itself will tell you all you need to know. Originals cost as much as a small car in North America

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
          X