Typing of German text

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typing of German text

I am retype pages of German text and I can't seem to figure out how to get the umlauts done. I probable spelt that incorrectly, but what I mean is the 2 dots over a letter. Any idea what keys I may need to hit on the keyboard? Thanks.
    Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Paul - are you using Word? If so you can insert charachters with umlauts.
    Marc

Comment

Hello Paul,
      I go to Accessories, then System Tools, then Character Map.
      Select the character you want, copy it, then insert into your text.
      It works for me.
      Hope this helps.
      RAY.

Comment

Don't have my list with me and can't remember how to do upper case but for lower case hold the alt button while typing the following numbers for the following letters alt+0028 = ä, alt+0235 = ë, alt+0246 = ö, alt+0252 = ü.
        Hope this helps somewhat.
        Richard V

Comment

Paul, contact "he whose name is not to be mentioned" as he has conjured a way to put umlauts on his keyboard.

Congratulations on the correct spelling.

Comment

Thanks everyone. The character map works great.
            Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hunter*
              Paul, contact "he whose name is not to be mentioned" as he has conjured a way to put umlauts on his keyboard.

Congratulations on the correct spelling.
              Ray also has it well covered.

Comment

It must be a pain in the neck for you guys typing the Umlaute - as it was for me when visiting my sister in Calgary and trying to email a message in German to German friends from her PC. Alternatively, you could of course just add an 'e' to the umlauted vocal - 'ae' for ä, 'ue' for ü etc. If you plan to do proper Umlaute regularly, just buy a German keyboard, which has keys for all the quaint German characters, also 'ß' for the 'sharp' s. I'm sure you will find a pretty good deal from ebay.de. Much less bother, and you can even type all English characters with it, too .

Regards, Karl
                Originally posted by Paul Chepurko
                Thanks everyone. The character map works great.

Comment

Paul - in MSWord, if you hold down (press) control shift : then release and type your letter upper or lower case, you will get an umlaut over the letter as shown

ÄäÖöÜü

which then can be copied any where - even here!
                  Last edited by W McSwiggan; 06-22-2005, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by W McSwiggan
                    Paul - in MSWord, if you hold down control shift : then type your letter upper or lower case, you will get an umlaut over the letter as shown

ÄäÖöÜü

which then be copied any where - even here!
                    Wow! That's amazing!

Comment

Paul,

it is permissable in German text to use the following substitute (which I always do when posting or e-mailing in German):

Ä = Ae
                      ä = ae
                      Ö = Oe
                      ö = oe
                      ß = ss

I think you get the idea.

Dietrich
                      B&D PUBLISHING
                      Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Here is the CHEAT SHEET

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ht=cheat+sheet

Hope this helps,
                        Greg

Comment

Just copy the ascii key strokes on to a post-it note. There are only seven that you will use on a regular basis. I stuck them on my computer and after a while you have them memorized and can type them on the fly.

Chip

Comment

Hello Everyone!

MSWord has another facility that can be tweaked to make it very easy to insert any symbols you want:

If you toggle 'Insert' in the menu, you will see 'Symbol' part way down the list. Left-click on symbol and it will present a table of all of the letters and symbols supported by the typeset that you are using. Notice, too, that you can define a shortcut key (e.g. CTRL-o) to give you an umlauted "o" or whatever symbol you use frequently in correspondence.

I have CTRL-e set up to print the EURO sign as I often correspond with collectors in Europe.

As always, there is more than one workaround with PC's.

Cheers,

Laurie

<o></o>

Comment

Uemlauts

In WordPerfect, click in "Insert" at the top bar, then click on "Symbol", the top selection on the pop-up, and then chose the "Multinational", and you are presented with your choice of a couple of hundred different symbols for other languages, including upper- and lower-case Uemlauts, French accented letters, etc. You can chose to insert the character you select and close, or insert the character and leave the window open at the bottom of the screen for subsequent insertions without too much extra effort.

Bob Lembke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X