Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11 place ribbonbar

Hi Everyone

In the uniformssection I have posted pics of a transportation officer uniform M/36 wearing this ribbonbar. WW1 austrian/german medals is not really my area but from what I can see this guy was an austrian and that he participated in WW1 and recieved severel awards for bravery? Other than that I think the ribbonbar was made after 1935 because of the Hindenburg Honor Cross. Was it normal that austrians recieved the Hindenburg Honor Cross?

As can be seen on the uniforms section this guy was a reservist who probably were called up again because of WW2.

Any more info you can share will be greatly appriciated

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...9&page=1&pp=15

Cheers Thomas

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Bendixen
      It would have had to been made after 1938 because of the Czech Annexation Ribbon.

The Austrians would have received the Front Fighter's MEdal.

Again, nice set.

Best regards
      Paul Reck

Comment

Hi Paul

Thanks for the comments - didn't see that Sudetenland among the others

Thanks very much

Cheers Thomas

Comment

Very nice ribbon bar! For some reason, I very much enjoy the the Austrian bars...

Here is one of my best Austrian WW1/WW2 bars.

Best regards
          Paul Reck
          Attached Files

Comment

I love the big Austrian bars.

Here are two of mine.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thomas,
              could we see the back of the ribbon bar? I'm a little surprised there is no Karl Truppen Kreuz on the bar, which normally every Austrian got.

Regards
              Chris

Comment

Originally posted by webr55
                Thomas,
                could we see the back of the ribbon bar? I'm a little surprised there is no Karl Truppen Kreuz on the bar, which normally every Austrian got.

Regards
                Chris
                Every Austrian did not get the Karl-Truppen-Kreuz. This underrated decoration was an award for frontline combat service, which makes me think that despite the swords on whichever medals the bravery ribbons represent, this guy was a rear-echelon NCO or junior officer.

Several different decorations were authorized to be worn on this ribbon. It was the statute ribbon of the Bravery Medals (Tapferkeitsmedaillen, bronze, silver and gold) and the Military Merit Cross (Militärverdienstkreuz). It was authorized as the war ribbon for the Franz Josef-Orden, the Military Merit Medals (Militärverdienstmedaillen, known as "Signum Laudis") and the Gold, Silver and Iron Merit Crosses (Goldene, silberne u. eiserne Verdienstkreuze). In many cases, you cannot tell what combination a particular group represents, except that swords were not authorized for the Bravery Medals.

Thus, David's first bar could represent a brave enlisted soldier who received the silver and bronze Bravery Medals, a Karl-Truppen-Kreuz and a Wounded Medal (Verwundetenmedaille, often called the "Laeso Militi"). Or it could be an officer who received two Military Merit Medals, but neither for bravery. Or one Military Merit Medal and one Merit Cross. The second is an officer's bar, as indicated by the Order of the Iron Crown in third place.

Comment

I am just curious as to why they would have the same ribbon for so many varying medals...

Paul

Comment

Dave,
                    absolutely right, as I said, "normally". MOST loooong Austrian bars have a Karl Truppen Kreuz. But I know about this poor thing being really underrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Reck
                      I am just curious as to why they would have the same ribbon for so many varying medals...

Paul
                      The use of a "war ribbon" is found in many Central European states. The ribbon chosen is usually that of the state's premier military award. For awards like the Franz Josef-Orden or the Merit Crosses, it serves to distinguish a wartime military award from a peacetime or civilian award.

Prussia went farther than Austria on this. The ribbon of the Iron Cross 2nd Class may be used to indicate a valor or wartime award of the following decorations: Order of the Red Eagle, Order of the Crown, Royal House Order of Hohenzollern, Military Merit Cross, Military Decoration 1st Class, Military Decoration 2nd Class and Warrior Merit Medal.

The Warrior Merit Medal (Krieger-Verdienstmedaille), BTW, was awarded to non-Germans and askaris in World War One, so there is the occasional Austrian recipient such as Karl Eidenberger, profiled on Glenn's site: http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co....idenberger.htm

On David's second bar, we know the 1st ribbon is an Iron Cross and not a Krieger-Verdienstmedaille for two reasons: (i) the Iron Crown indicates an officer's bar, and I don't think the Krieger-Verdienstmedaille was awarded to officers, and (ii) it precedes the 1939 War Merit Cross. The Krieger-Verdienstmedaille was a Prussian state award, so it would come after an all-German award like the KVK (technically, the 1914 Iron Cross was also a Prussian state award, but it had special status).

Comment

A 15X one!

Here's a nice 15X one that is in Ribbon Bar Sale 6, Part 1
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello gentlemen

You have been a great help - thanks to you all

Cheers Thomas

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X