Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1870 IC Parade Mounted

Hey,

Has anyone seen the 1870 IC on Bill Shea's site? I was wondering if anyone could determine if this was an 1870 produced piece or later product..perhaps WWI. Also is it possible that an individual would have had just one medal (I.e. the IC) and no other capmaign medals?

Gary B

http://www.therupturedduck.com/WebPa...Iron%20Crosses

M-200 Iron Cross Second Class 1870 Version with Rare 25-Year Jubilee Oak Leaf “Spange”; Parade Mount – Scarce and Choice

This is an incredible award, and exceedingly rare with the stamped, nickel silver finished three-oakleaf “Jubiläumsspange” between the cross and the ribbon. The black “eggshell” enamel on the core is in excellent condition, with a slight gloss to some areas. The nickel/silver frame has a superb light patina. The detail on the entire center (Prussian Imperial crown, “W” for “Wilhelm” and date “1870”) is crisp, and the oak leaves, crown and date “1814” on the reverse are also a full excellent. The mounting ring normally fixed to the top edge of the cross is hidden on this example by a large, slightly convex set of three oak leaves - these are the anniversary Spange created by Kaiser (Emperor) Wilhelm himself in 1895, as an award for Veterans on the 25-year jubilee (anniversary) of the 1870-71 Franco-Prussian War. The leaves are handsome with a large raised center leaf superimposed over two smaller leaves that project out and upward to each side (this may have perhaps been the precedent for the design of the WWII Oak Leaves to the Knights Cross). The leaves are made of stamped tin, but they are superbly sculpted and the detail is magnificent. The finish is toned very dark. The anniversary number “25” stands out quite clearly. The oak leaves are perfectly centered and very firmly attached to the two-strand white/ black / white / black parade mount award ribbon (which is quite stiff). The ribbon arrangement is absolute perfection, with the outward curve to the white bands nearly mirror image on each side. The reverse of the stiffened ribbon has a red felt backing, which has some light tracking and a few small holes. The heavy duty mounting pin functions smoothly with a smooth swing once released from the catch. A truly choice example of a very scarce jubilee Iron Cross
    ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

'
    Last edited by RoyA; 06-04-2005, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Seems funny that no one comments

Comment

That is a very nice looking cross. It is nearly impossible to tell if this were a 1871 issue piece or later. my personal opinion is that this was a piece made at the time of the Jubilee. 1895. I am guessing this because it has the Oak leaves and is parade mounted. I think the great majority of the EKs we see with OAKs are probably made about 1895. That does not make it any less desireable.

Comment

Originally posted by gregM
          ...my personal opinion is that this was a piece made at the time of the Jubilee. 1895. I am guessing this because it has the Oak leaves and is parade mounted....

I would agree with Gregs observation - particularly in relation to the mounting style... although the cross does resemble awarded pieces.

Who knows....

Nice piece - nasty price...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Biro; 05-06-2006, 04:17 AM.

Comment

I agree this is a great looking piece... and yes the price is steep!!
            But if someone is looking for an 1870 EK where do you find another one? Seems like these items have all gone to ground.

I understand the 1870 EK was made even up into the 1930's. Wish someone would comment on how to identify the vintage of a given EK. For what little it is worth, it seems to me the size of the date is a telling feature on a pic. I would think the early awarded ones would be of higher quality and therefore be in much more demand and of course more pricey. Any comments?

Rod

Comment

Early pieces are usually better quality. However what is early? I think that
              if you had 2 crosses from the same manufacture, one 1871 and one 1895 could anyone of use tell them apart?

As far as the size of the date. The size and style of the date would be up to the whims of the manufacture. There are several different styles of dates that can be seen. Even within the same maker we see different styles of dates. One example would be Godet date with the standard 7 or the "short 7". There are other differences such as the "flat 8" and the
              "over and under 8" Use the forum search feature and do a search on 1870 EKs There is alot discussion and information in these old threads.

Greg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X