Estand EK1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estand EK1

Not to try and kill a sale but I have questions on this cross: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...20#post8642720

I thought Klein came in late to the EK production. Would this cross have been available for an early award?
    pseudo-expert

I think the cross is fine. The engraving looks OK as well. The date is 3 days after the war started. The assumption that this is his original award cross may be incorrect - it may have been an engraved "present" or a second piece from much later.

If the inference is that this was a cross awarded in 1914 then yes, I too would question that. Imo all the early crosses have cast iron cores and this KO obviously does not.

Regards
    Mike
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

I Agree with Mike,
      the engraving is hand made surely, but when ?, and the core showing a middle/late EK production.

Comment

I agree that all of the early crosses would have a cast core. Also
        someone has said that all of the first EK makers were based in Berlin.

If that holds true, Kline being based in Oberstein would indicate a slightly
        later made cross.

Comment

I have serious doubts about this ensemble.

Comment

I made an attempt to date the cardboard boxes. I hope the owners of the boxes forgive me that I used their pictures, but its for a good course, research for the public interest

It is not waterproof but just an indication for dating the awardboxes...a start!

Iron Cross 1. Class outer cardboard boxes from 1914 untill 1918.jpg

Comment

My point in opening this thread was not to disparage the seller nor the item but the story of the item. For $1000 I would want to be sure that this was the cross of a PLM winner. We definitely know it was not his issue cross. When you start talking wearer's piece, 2d copy, etc... things get murky. There are plenty of unengraved KOs out there that can be upgraded to whomever you want. The engraving does not strike me as being very professional as it doesn't flow but that is just my opinion.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ight=engraving

At the end of the day the buyer has to be happy and to do so he needs to know all the facts.
              pseudo-expert

Comment

Ek1

Thanks Don for starting this thread, which has been seen by the buyer, who is free to return the item if he's not happy with his purchase.

The EK1 could well be a 2nd award / Sunday best / gift / or replacement, as Mike suggested. Chronologically this makes sense since the engraving includes 'VII AK' - but he was not associated with VII Corps HQ until the end of 1914 and beyond.

It is what it is - and was how I got it back in 2007 from Detlev.

Comment

Thanks for responding. At the end of the day the buyer must be comfortable with his purchase.
                  pseudo-expert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,764 at 12:35 PM on Today.

Working...
                  X