Shooting medals..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting medals..?

appreciate any info on these...large one dtd 1927 is 990- silver, 39.3mm diameter and appears German...smaller one Bulgarian...?...lions on reverse with crown..?..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pink; 10-13-2019, 11:52 PM. Reason: forgot photos...

The second one is Belgian. Ventel may be Flemish. Although, I can't find a translation. It's possible it could be a place name. "Je Maintiendrai" is French for "I will maintain", but probably should be translated as "I will carry on". I'm not sure this is strictly speaking a shooting medal. Or if it is, it may relate to Belgian Militia rather than a civil shooting association based on the military style image.

The German one says, "Loyalty to the Flag and the Fatherland". It could be specific to a Prussian Shooting Association given that it's made by the well-known maker, Oertel, Berlin. But, then again, it may just be a generic shooting medal to be inscribed as needed.
    Last edited by Brian L.; 10-14-2019, 01:07 AM.

Comment

I think "Ventel" ist a last name. There were more then one "Ventels" in the shooting club, so there is a I (romanian one) behind the name.

Comment

Originally posted by ODW View Post
        I think "Ventel" ist a last name. There were more then one "Ventels" in the shooting club, so there is a I (romanian one) behind the name.
        It's Vendel, not Ventel. But, anyway, you could be right. Vendel is a name in Sweden. So, it's likely a Northern European name that exists in more than one country. But, "I" could be a first name initial, perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
          But, "I" could be a first name initial, perhaps.
          Without a dot?
          Behind the last name?
          Dont think so.

Comment

Hi,

I think, that the second one is a civilian Dutch shooting medal for a man with the name Vendel, one of a minimum of two Vendels in the shooting club.

You can often find the name Vendel in the region Belgium, Netherlands and Germany.

Uwe

Comment

Thank you all....think they will be going on Estand as out of my collecting area...appreciate the assistance.

Comment

Surfing produced this Dutch coat of arms...

Originally posted by Pink View Post
                Thank you all....think they will be going on Estand as out of my collecting area...appreciate the assistance.

Oh the fun of searching for things....found this by searching the scroll wording.. the coat of arms of the Netherlands....looks pretty close...and how coats of arms are intertwined between European countries sometimes...
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by speedytop View Post
                  Hi,

I think, that the second one is a civilian Dutch shooting medal for a man with the name Vendel, one of a minimum of two Vendels in the shooting club.

You can often find the name Vendel in the region Belgium, Netherlands and Germany.

Uwe
                  I thought that originally. But, it has French on the reverse, which is why I thought it was Belgian for someone who was Flemish.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X