Trucks of the Freikorps Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trucks of the Freikorps Question.

Does anyone know if Harvester International exported Trucks to Germany from 1920 1925 time frame?

Originally posted by PlaceOfBayonets View Post
    Does anyone know if Harvester International exported Trucks to Germany from 1920 1925 time frame?
    One of the more bizarre questions I've seen here.

Anyway, as far as I know the Freikorps used the standard German army Daimler-built 4-5d LKW "Marienfelde" lorry (4000-5000kg).

Comment

Ih;

I worked for IH then Navistar for 40+ years and never remember any mention of factory export of truck product officially pre WW2. Its very possible and likely there were overseas private purchases in the 20s that got exported to Europe.

Comment

Were they used by US forces in Europe during WW1 and in the immediate post war time?
        pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
          One of the more bizarre questions I've seen here.

Anyway, as far as I know the Freikorps used the standard German army Daimler-built 4-5d LKW "Marienfelde" lorry (4000-5000kg).
          Why is that a bizarre question?

Comment

Why is that a bizarre question?
            because I thought it was rather an obscure question with little to do with collecting. But, hey, if someone is interested in the brand of trucks the Freikorps used, then more power to them.

Comment

because I thought it was rather an obscure question with little to do with collecting. But, hey, if someone is interested in the brand of trucks the Freikorps used, then more power to them.
              There is an old rusty one (1924) for sale a few miles from my home. I have a kit that can be freikorps and a truck would be nice to go with it so I just wondered if it would be correct. I could find no info on exports to Germany via search engines.

Comment

There is an old rusty one (1924) for sale a few miles from my home. I have a kit that can be freikorps and a truck would be nice to go with it so I just wondered if it would be correct. I could find no info on exports to Germany via search engines.
                I really doubt that the Freikorps or even early Reichswehr used IH trucks given that the victorious powers were trying to de-militarize Germany as much as possible between 1919-23 and wouldn't have likely allowed news trucks to be imported for military use.

Perhaps the Reichsheer imported them in the late 1920s or early 30s.

But as I said, they were using the old army Daimlers during the Freikorps period.

Comment

I really doubt that the Freikorps or even early Reichswehr used IH trucks given that the victorious powers were trying to de-militarize Germany as much as possible between 1919-23 and wouldn't have likely allowed news trucks to be imported for military use.

Perhaps the Reichsheer imported them in the late 1920s or early 30s.

But as I said, they were using the old army Daimlers during the Freikorps period.
                  I don't know what they used but by the photos I looked at in a random sense it sure looked like they used whatever they could get their hands on. All kinds of differently configured armored cars and trucks.

Comment

Im an old car nerd.. mostly early Fords, 1930's. I sell parts to subsidize some of my militaria collecting. Any subject involving old tin is of interest!

I am not convinced it would have been necessary for Americans to import trucks to Europe since the British and French already had them. This requires further investigating.

It appears Austin armored cars were used by the Kokampf, and possibly Rolls Royce (need to confirm). I haven't done any real homework, but its possible any non-German vehicle in FK photos were captured during the war and allowed continued service by the Allies to squash the Communists. As bolewts58 has laid out, the allies wanted Germany demilitarized asap, it doesn't seem plausible they would loan or give expensive vehicles to a broke country.

Bit off the topic of trucks, just found a Haynes manual for Rolls Royce armored cars...
                    Search, "Owners' Workshop Manual: Rolls Royce Armoured Car, 1915-44 by David Fletcher".. thats neat.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X