2 Silesian Eagles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Silesian Eagles

I bought the 2nd class and accidently got my hands also on the 1st class with most likely repaired needle from the same seller. Can you guys please take a look at the photos and tell me what you think of them? Especially about the replaced needle. I hope they are not post-WW2. Thanks in advance

PS: Sorry about the quality of pictures, my phone is just not able to do better ones (or maybe I am not )

Both are ok. 1920s-30s by the same maker. The pin would possibly have been a needle style similar to that on a wound badge.

Comment

Thank you for the info I am glad, they are ok

I only found the same one on dutchmilitaria but the hooking system seems to be completely different from the one on mine before the needle was replaced

https://dutchmilitaria.com/product/s...agle-enameled/

Do you know who was the maker?

Comment

I don't know the maker. There were dozens of makers and many are unknown.

Comment

Hi Grinderwolf,

As Brian said you have a nice matched 1st & 2nd class period enamelled set. It took me a while to get the pair. You can see from my top left pict its identical to yours. The block hinge & flat stock catch are also the same as yours on my first class which means only the pin was replaced on yours. This isnt so unusual given that unlike the 2nd class the first class was worn on a daily basis.

As for the other 1st class SE you show from a dealer site for hardware comparison it is also perfectly correct/period but various hardware types where used by various makers at different times (there are others as well) so IMO only the pin has been replaced on yours.

Some variations are fairly obvious but no idea on the maker of this type
          either, sorry.

Regards

JC
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for the info and taking the time to reply Jean-Claude, I mostly focus on the classic third reich militaria but since Silesia/Schlesien is really close to where I am from and I read and heard a lot of stories about local Freikorps and SdP Ordnergruppe actions during the "wild" years, I thought I must get the eagles. I have to say, it was quite accidental that I got the pair. I bought the 2nd class for 90€ from the seller and he made a mistake and sent me the 1st class instead. Long story short, he offered that I can keep the 1st class for 80€ so I couldn't say no to that even though the needle is replaced.

Originally posted by Jean-Claude View Post
            Hi Grinderwolf,

As Brian said you have a nice matched 1st & 2nd class period enamelled set. It took me a while to get the pair. You can see from my top left pict its identical to yours. The block hinge & flat stock catch are also the same as yours on my first class which means only the pin was replaced on yours. This isnt so unusual given that unlike the 2nd class the first class was worn on a daily basis.

As for the other 1st class SE you show from a dealer site for hardware comparison it is also perfectly correct/period but various hardware types where used by various makers at different times (there are others as well) so IMO only the pin has been replaced on yours.

Some variations are fairly obvious but no idea on the maker of this type
            either, sorry.

Regards

JC

Comment

Originally posted by grinderwolf View Post
              Thank you for the info and taking the time to reply Jean-Claude, I mostly focus on the classic third reich militaria but since Silesia/Schlesien is really close to where I am from and I read and heard a lot of stories about local Freikorps and SdP Ordnergruppe actions during the "wild" years, I thought I must get the eagles. I have to say, it was quite accidental that I got the pair. I bought the 2nd class for 90€ from the seller and he made a mistake and sent me the 1st class instead. Long story short, he offered that I can keep the 1st class for 80€ so I couldn't say no to that even though the needle is replaced.
              No problem Grinderwolf, glad to help...I'm also mostly a TR guy myself but I have a hard time resisting these Schlesischer Adlers too when I see a nice one. This is not a rare variant (whoever may have made it) but it took me a few years to put the set together and the price was significantly higher than what you paid for your set so you did good

Best regards

JC

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X