Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK2 document - possible signature von Brandis

Dear collectors,

I recently purchased an interesting Baltic Cross group here on WAF, finally time to go through it all.

I came across the attached award document for the EK2 ... could it possibly hold the signature of von Brandis himself ?

If so, is this a rare signature, or are there plenty of documents out there carrying his signature ? Not much here on WAF.

Mathijs
    Attached Files

There are some similarities, But, it's not typical of von Brandis' signature. My guess is that a subordinate was tasked with signing his name on his behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
      There are some similarities, But, it's not typical of von Brandis' signature. My guess is that a subordinate was tasked with signing his name on his behalf.

That would be very unusual... basically forging his signature? Why not signe i.A. ?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Boonzaier View Post
        That would be very unusual... basically forging his signature? Why not signe i.A. ?
        I'm not suggesting it was forged. I could be wrong. But, I think it was not uncommon for an assistant to sign on behalf of a commander.

If I get a chance, I'll post von Brandis' signature for comparison.

Comment

I agree with CB - a subordinate would have signed "i.A" (im Auftrag) and used his own name.

Here is von Brandis signature
          Attached Files
          Last edited by naxos; 09-15-2019, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by naxos View Post
            I agree with CB - a subordinate would have signed "i.A" (im Auftrag) and used his own name.

Here is von Brandis signature
            ok. The sample signature that I have is the same as yours with the distinctive breaks between the n and d and i and s.

So, the signature on the document, although there are some similarities is too different in my opinion to be von Brandis' unless he was tired from signing a lot of docs and just got sloppy.

Comment

Possible he had 50 or 60 to sign in one go.... my signature varies wildly when I have to sign 5-6 forms at a go...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Boonzaier View Post
                Possible he had 50 or 60 to sign in one go.... my signature varies wildly when I have to sign 5-6 forms at a go...
                You might be right. But, I seriously doubt he had 50 or 60 EKII docs to sign. This was certainly common during the war. But, post-war, especially EK docs named to a specific Freikorps such as this are comparatively rare.

Comment

ok. The sample signature that I have is the same as yours with the distinctive breaks between the n and d and i and s.
                  Is yours ink?
                  With ink you have to make these distinctive breaks or there will be points on the paper.
                  With a pencil there is no need for these distinctive breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by ODW View Post
                    Is yours ink?
                    With ink you have to make these distinctive breaks or there will be points on the paper.
                    With a pencil there is no need for these distinctive breaks.
                    Mine is photocopy of an ink signature.

In thinking about it, yours is probably ok. Just von Brandis on a bad day. There's absolutely no reason to think that someone would bother to fake it. It's not like it adds much value like say someone really famous like von Richtofen, Rommel or Göring. It's just nice to have. I have several original Freikorps leader signatures which probably are in the same vein of being nice to have, but not especially valuable.

I'd be interested to see the whole group that you got.

Comment

Mine is photocopy of an ink signature.

In thinking about it, yours is probably ok. Just von Brandis on a bad day. There's absolutely no reason to think that someone would bother to fake it. It's not like it adds much value like say someone really famous like von Richtofen, Rommel or Göring. It's just nice to have. I have several original Freikorps leader signatures which probably are in the same vein of being nice to have, but not especially valuable.

I got nothing, i´m not OP. ;-)
                      Just a good observer who has held a pencil and an ink filler in his hands. ;-)

Comment

You might be right. But, I seriously doubt he had 50 or 60 EKII docs to sign. This was certainly common during the war. But, post-war, especially EK docs named to a specific Freikorps such as this are comparatively rare.

I am guessing the awards to the FK were done in one lot, I doubt that the high command did them on an individual basis... so 10, 20, 30 , 40... depending on how many were awarded... at regiments during the war they also did them in batches.
                        Last edited by Chris Boonzaier; 09-16-2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Will try to take snapshots and post here when possible ...

Many thanks for those taking time to react and educate me on this issue.
                          The signature on my document is indeed in pencil - adding a better snapshot.
                          I do see quite a large similarity on the signature shown by member Naxos.
                          Not sure what the abbreviation means ( which I marked in red ).

Mathijs
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X