Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baltic Cross 2nd Class

Hi Folks:

I attended the "Forum Historicum" at Wirges, Germany this weekend and I found a Baltic Cross 2nd Class medal which I always wanted. I only found two (2) there...and the first medal I found was a 2-pc medal but missing a suspension ring and his price was way too high. I found this one piece medal and I would like options. Thank you,
    Attached Files

Last picture of back. Thank you for looking
    Attached Files

Comment

I will leave others to comment on the cross, but allow me to remark that were no 1st and 2nd Class Baltic Crosses:

The Baltenkreuz came in one class only. It was to be worn as a pinback cross, with the ribbon - worn in the buttonhole or as a ribbon bar - representing the cross when the actual decoration was not worn.
      The crosses on a ribbon suspension were unofficial private-purchase pieces for wear on medal bars.

(Same as with the Turkish Iron Crescent, really.)
      Last edited by HPL2008; 09-07-2019, 05:03 PM.

Comment

The cross is an original private purchase piece likely from the period 1945-1960.

Comment

It’s a S&L made postwar replacement piece. I have the same ribbon medal and also the pinback cross in my collection.
          I would date the production period between the early 1950’s-mid 1960’s.
          S&L produced almost all of the imperial replacement pieces during those years. A whole collection field of it’s own.

Nice piece

Regards,
          Alex
          Last edited by Alex W.; 09-07-2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

As already mentioned, it is a post WW2 S&L vets replacement piece!
            Here is an example on a veterans medal bar...all the medals, with the exception of the Hindy, are S&L post WW2.....
            DSCF1967.jpg
            DSCF1968.jpg
            And, here is the S&L pinback version.......
            DSCF3056.jpg
            DSCF3053.jpg
            sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X