Real Freikorps Skull? Godet Berlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Freikorps Skull? Godet Berlin

Howdy, I've never seen a skull like this; advertised as freikorps, thoughts?

Marked "Godet berlin".

Not Freikorps. Not sure what it is. Although it's a common skull design from the Weimar period. Could be anything from some other paramilitary group to a student society.

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
      Not Freikorps. Not sure what it is. Although it's a common skull design from the Weimar period. Could be anything from some other paramilitary group to a student society.
      I'm seeing some similar badges labelled "west russian volunteer army" and "awaloff", however I can't find any period photos of west russian volunteers wearing skull badges.

Comment

Originally posted by Gens View Post
        I'm seeing some similar badges labelled "west russian volunteer army" and "awaloff", however I can't find any period photos of west russian volunteers wearing skull badges.
        Absolutely not. What you might be thinking about is the skull used on the numerous fakes of the Awaloff cross that have flooded the market (image attached). These are not accurate to actual genuine crosses and these skulls were never worn with a pinback. I actually doubt the authenticity of the skull you posted. But, in any case, skulls of this type and many other varieties were available in outfitter's sales catalogues during the 1920s/30s and could be purchased for any group or purpose - but NOT the Freikorps.

There were only 2 types of skulls used by the Freikorps: Brunswick style and Danzig style. The Brunswick style followed almost exactly the 2 types worn as cap badges by Brunswick troops during the Imperial period: the officer's type and enlisted man's type. The officer's type was worn both as a collar badge and cap badge by such Freikorps as Freikorps Erlangen. A large version of the officer's type was worn as a sleeve badge by Volunteer Company Elisabeth. The enlisted man's type was worn by Volunteer Jaeger Batallion Brunswick. The Danzig type skull, as worn during the Imperial period by Prussian hussar regiments was worn during the Freikorps period by the Iron Division and the Russian West Army in the Baltic and by other Freikorps such as Freikorps Brussow.

In any case, skulls of any type with safety pins were never worn by the Freikorps. They only had splints for attaching.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Brian L.; 08-11-2019, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Absolutely not. What you might be thinking about is the skull used on the numerous fakes of the Awaloff cross that have flooded the market (image attached). These are not accurate to actual genuine crosses and these skulls were never worn with a pinback. I actually doubt the authenticity of the skull you posted. But, in any case, skulls of this type and many other varieties were available in outfitter's sales catalogues during the 1920s/30s and could be purchased for any group or purpose - but NOT the Freikorps.

There were only 2 types of skulls used by the Freikorps: Brunswick style and Danzig style. The Brunswick style followed almost exactly the 2 types worn as cap badges by Brunswick troops during the Imperial period: the officer's type and enlisted man's type. The officer's type was worn both as a collar badge and cap badge by such Freikorps as Freikorps Erlangen. A large version of the officer's type was worn as a sleeve badge by Volunteer Company Elisabeth. The enlisted man's type was worn by Volunteer Jaeger Batallion Brunswick. The Danzig type skull, as worn during the Imperial period by Prussian hussar regiments was worn during the Freikorps period by the Iron Division and the Russian West Army in the Baltic and by other Freikorps such as Freikorps Brussow.

In any case, skulls of any type with safety pins were never worn by the Freikorps. They only had splints for attaching.
          Thank you!

Comment

Are there any good online dealers to buy through?

Comment

Are there any good online dealers to buy through?
              Firstly, what are you looking to buy? Personally, I don't really trust any dealers. Some are dishonest and many others are just ignorant of the facts. Fortunately, I know more than they do about my particular area of collecting. As I always say, educate yourself as much as possible and never rely on any dealer's "expertise" when buying for your collection.

Having said that, dealers I sometimes buy from include:

Helmut Weitze

Philipps Militaria

Bene Merenti (Auctions)

eMedals.

But, I'm not recommending any of them.

Comment

Firstly, what are you looking to buy? Personally, I don't really trust any dealers. Some are dishonest and many others are just ignorant of the facts. Fortunately, I know more than they do about my particular area of collecting. As I always say, educate yourself as much as possible and never rely on any dealer's "expertise" when buying for your collection.

Having said that, dealers I sometimes buy from include:

Helmut Weitze

Philipps Militaria

Bene Merenti (Auctions)

eMedals.

But, I'm not recommending any of them.
                Thank you for the list.

I'm really just looking for a Freikorps cap badge (totenkopf seems the most common), one of my friends has an old private purchase/paramilitary cap from the early weimar era he'd like to complete for posterity and I'm helping him find it.

Comment

Thank you for the list.

I'm really just looking for a Freikorps cap badge (totenkopf seems the most common), one of my friends has an old private purchase/paramilitary cap from the early weimar era he'd like to complete for posterity and I'm helping him find it.
                  Probably one like this would be best.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X