Very early Stahlhelm photograph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very early Stahlhelm photograph

I have this posted elsewhere but thought it belongs here also.

Was wearing a krätzchen common in the Stahlhelm? Is that an NSDAP adler that is pointed out with the arrow? Any info including time period would be awesome. WAF member Michael Miller believes it to be circa 1924. Thanks guys

Maybe something like this?
    Last edited by BlackWatch1; 06-04-2019, 02:38 PM.

Hi Blackwatch1
    Not very familiar with Stahlhelm uniforms so wait for better opinions but the device on that fellow's cap does look like an early NSDAP adler except the one you show is the larger 2nd pattern eagle that was introduced in 1934 (if memory serves me right). The one in your picture looks like the smaller 1st type introduced in the late 20s but it appears even smaller than the norrmal size version of the 1st pattern cap eagle shown below iin the attached pict.

JC
    Attached Files

Comment

Michael Miller is anyway wrong about the date (1924). This is NOT an early photograph.
      It is practically sure all persons are at the labour service from the Stahlhelm-organization (Stahlhelm-Arbeitsdienst).
      The photo is dated anyway later then early 1932 as in the middle a guy is already wearing the new form of collar-patches as introduced with order Bk/IIa 1625/32

I see members from the Jungstahlhelm as well as from the Wehrsport-Abteilung (oakleaf upon collar).
      The close-up shows the use of the eagle lapel-pin, not even the somewhat larger eagle as used since September 1933.

The use of the Krätzchen was quite common in 1932 and 1933. Often they were delivered by Clemens Wagner from Braunschweig.
      Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 06-05-2019, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys for the valuable info. So perhaps an NSDAP Adler might make sense if this was post 27 April 1933, when Seldte had officially declared the Stahlhelm subordinate to Hitler's command but before it was renamed the Nationalsozialistischer Deutscher Frontkämpferbund in 1934?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackWatch1 View Post
          Thanks guys for the valuable info. So perhaps an NSDAP Adler might make sense if this was post 27 April 1933, when Seldte had officially declared the Stahlhelm subordinate to Hitler's command but before it was renamed the Nationalsozialistischer Deutscher Frontkämpferbund in 1934?
          Nazi minded Stahlhelm-members used the smaller eagle lapel pin since 1931/1932.
          As I said the photo anyway is 1932 and based upon advertisements from 1933 and
          the middle guy, ranked as: Gruppenführer
          The photo is not from 1934 as then they largely would have worn a different uniform.
          This is my opinion! Many do wear the old field-cap from the army.
          Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 06-05-2019, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
            Nazi minded Stahlhelm-members used the smaller eagle lapel pin since 1931/1932.
            As I said the photo anyway is 1932 and based upon advertisements from 1933 and
            the middle guy, ranked as: Gruppenführer
            The photo is not from 1934 as then they largely would have worn a different uniform.
            This is my opinion! Many do wear the old field-cap from the army.
            I'm always amazed at the amount of information you have in your head and the massive library you must have Mr. Saris. Thank-you again!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X