Kind regards Chay
    Attached Files

Yes. It's original.

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
      Yes. It's original.

Excellent !
      I’m glad you like it , I took a gamble on it ,
      I have not seen one before I usually collect British cap badges and estates ,

Kind regards Chay

Comment

Here’s the hook ,
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice original enamelled tombac 1st Class SE. I'm a fan of these!

I have a few with similar hardware and I still wonder why they placed the hinge so high (on the back of the head) on some of these that they had to go tthrough the time consuming excercise of shaping the hinge plate to match the shape of the head when it would have been much simpler to locate it lower (behind the body) and not shape it at all. Just thinking ...

Again, a nice SE

JC

Comment

JC,
            Yes it’s a nice badge has a funny groove on the back of the pin as well,

Kind regards Chay
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by upbeek View Post
              JC,
              Yes it’s a nice badge has a funny groove on the back of the pin as well,

Kind regards Chay
              Chay
              Dont recall seeing a groved pin like that before but tons of makers produced these. Your new picture well illustrates the trouble they went through to shape the hinge plate to match the outline of the head. Here are 3 of mine with various degrees of hinge plate shaping like yours (the one at left looks like the same set up as yours). I suspect they eventually got smarter and moved the hinge plate low enough not to have to tinker with it at all, just weld it in place "as is"

Cheers

JC
              Attached Files

Comment

JC
                Thank you for showing the various hinge placements ,
                I’m researching this badge at the moment in the most basic way trying to understand what the cresent on the chest symbolises?

Kind regards Chay

Comment

The crescent & cross were (and are) part of the official coat of arms of Silesia so you should find the meanning of the crescent device on a site dealing with the history of the region or Heraldic Art. My uneducated guess would be that the meaning of this device may have to do with the victory of Christianity (cross) over the Ottoman empire (crescent) who occupied significant parts of Europe back in the days but dont take that to the bank

Cheers

JC

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Claude View Post
                    The crescent & cross were (and are) part of the official coat of arms of Silesia so you should find the meanning of the crescent device on a site dealing with the history of the region or Heraldic Art. My uneducated guess would be that the meaning of this device may have to do with the victory of Christianity (cross) over the Ottoman empire (crescent) who occupied significant parts of Europe back in the days but dont take that to the bank

Cheers

JC
                    JC,
                    I like that and I’m taking it to the bank, it’s what I meant exactly and has Logos!
                    I just researched scenarios as well,

Kind regards Chay

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Claude View Post
                      Sorry, but the crescent on Silesian Eagle has nothing to do with Ottoman Empire or islam. This so called Brustmond (breast moon), used on different heraldic eagles in Central Europe (often with trefoils). Sorry, but refering articles in Wiki are in German or Polish mainly:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleest%C3%A4ngel

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schles...er_(Wappentier)

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_%C5%9Al%C4%85ska

And the stylized cross is an ancestral sign of the prince Henry the Bearded (12th/13th Century):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_the_Bearded

Comment

Originally posted by tompress View Post
                        Sorry, but the crescent on Silesian Eagle has nothing to do with Ottoman Empire or islam. This so called Brustmond (breast moon), used on different heraldic eagles in Central Europe (often with trefoils). Sorry, but refering articles in Wiki are in German or Polish mainly:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleest%C3%A4ngel

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schles...er_(Wappentier)

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_%C5%9Al%C4%85ska

And the stylized cross is an ancestral sign of the prince Henry the Bearded (12th/13th Century):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_the_Bearded
                        There you go Chay, from someone that knows what he's talking about
                        Told you not to take my opinion to the bank but at least it got you what you wee looking for

JC

Comment

The crescent moon in European heraldry specifically represents the Virgin Mary and is rooted in classical iconography as a symbol of Virginity and Purity for the Goddess Artemis/Diana. But, it actually goes back much further than that to ancient Egypt. This explains the cross and plain crescent or crescent with trefoil ends (Holy Trinity) as a symbol of knightly piety and virtue. It's found on lots of European family and state coats of arms in various configurations.

So, as already stated, it has nothing to do with Islam.

Here is an early 15th-century French illustration of the Virgin Mary on Cresent from the Rohan Master manuscript and a shield crest of the Earl of Coventry in England.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Well Gentlemen,
                            It’s good we all know the meaning behind this ,
                            I looked before and saw the ottoman use in the 19th century of the cresent and star which as an image was taken from somewhere else Byzantium pre dating islam,

Kind regards Chay

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X