Kampfgruppe

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who other than the NSDAP used Swastikas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who other than the NSDAP used Swastikas?

Does anyone know if the Stahlhelm or other German Nationalist groups used the Swastika other than the NSDAP between 1918 and 1933? Thanks.

The swastika was used in the German Freikorps. Both Brigade Ehrhardt and Selbstschutz-Sturm-Regiment Heinz among others used swastikas on their helmets and vehicles.
    Attached Files

Comment

Yes, I know about the use of the swastika by the "Wehrverein Lützow" and "Verband Deutsche Wehr" at Austria.
      This was about 1924. The swastika was either an armband or an emblem in which the swastika was to be found.
      I thought to remember the one or the other also carried a flag with swastika (Vaterländischer Schutzbund).
      The Stahlhelm-organization was in the beginning not nazi minded and possibly will not have used it.
      Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 04-08-2019, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Pre-WW 1 until the 1930's the swastika was used in various nations world wide by the Boy Scouts. Try google.

Comment

Thank you guys for the valuable information. I have a photo I'm working on and will publish it on WAF when I'm done.

Comment

An interesting subject -- I look forward to seeing your photo and reading the description you provide.

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

One point to remember is they used the Normitive left-facing form of the 'swastika' not the Nazi Hakenkreuz which was Hitler's variation on it.

The right-facing form was more a Hindu and Jainis symbol and not in common in the west at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
                One point to remember is they used the Normitive left-facing form of the 'swastika' not the Nazi Hakenkreuz which was Hitler's variation on it.

The right-facing form was more a Hindu and Jainis symbol and not in common in the west at the time.
                Who is "they"?

Also, you've got that all wrong. Hindus, Jains and Buddhists use both the left-facing and right-facing non-mobile swastika. I live in Thailand, have been to India, Nepal, Myanmar, Cambodia, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong and Korea several times. I've seen plenty of these on temples and statues. I also teach about this at university. "Swastika" or "Sawaustika" is Sanskrit and in simple terms means "auspiciousness' or "good luck". The Thai greeting, "Sawasdee" comes from this word.

The Freikorps and some Weimar paramilitary groups (as well as the Finns, Latvians, Lithuanians, Estonians) used the right-facing, non-mobile swastika.

The Nazis used both the right-facing non-mobile and mobile (i.e. "flying") swastika.

The swastika was also widely used in western culture as a symbol of good luck before it was perverted by the Nazis, as you can see below.

The Swastika Women's Field Hockey Team, 1916. The Windsor 'Swastikas' Hockey Team (Windsor Ontario), 1922 etc. a Coca Cola swastika bottle opener. a Boy Scout lucky swastika coin etc.

Also shown is the right-facing non-mobile swastika on a bridge in Japan and a left-facing, non-mobile swastika on a Japanese Buddha.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Brian L.; 04-13-2019, 12:12 AM.

Comment

More examples of the swastika's use in Western culture, long before the Nazis.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Not to mention a unit of the United States army wore a swastika on their shoulder patch although I don't remember which one in the pre Nazi era.

Comment

Originally posted by harleyguyone View Post
                      Not to mention a unit of the United States army wore a swastika on their shoulder patch although I don't remember which one in the pre Nazi era.
                      The 45th Infantry Division.

http://45thdivisionmuseum.com/Swastika
                      Last edited by HPL2008; 04-13-2019, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Well here it is. Can someone tell me who these men were? Thanks

Comment

Some 1920s paramilitary group, but no way to tell which.

Can you try to zoom in on the armbands being worn?

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
                            Some 1920s paramilitary group, but no way to tell which.

Can you try to zoom in on the armbands being worn?
                            Best I can do sorry.

Comment

beats me. Maybe someone will recognize this armband. But, there's not much there to identify.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X