New Book on Freikorps Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Book on Freikorps Awards

Apparently, there's a new comprehensive book on awards of the Freikorps and other paramilitary organizations. written by Ingo Haarcke that's about to be released.

If it's anything like his catalogue on Freikorps unit insignia, it will certainly increase the interest in this area of collecting.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian L.; 03-04-2019, 10:16 PM.

I reserved it

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Comment

Where can one order it?
      pseudo-expert

Comment

That would be an interesting reference! I'd also like to know from where it can be ordered.
        Erich
        Festina lente!

Comment

Is this going to be for sell on Amazon or his personal website?

Comment

https://www.zinnfigur.com/Buecher-Me...isationen.html

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Comment

Received my copy yesterday. There are some really scarce items shown there-like 2nd class Kreuzburg cross with award lists etc. Unlike Ingo previous FK book (sleeve shields), this one includes both obverse and reverse pictures.
              On the other hand, some fakes included (few of them though), and it's missing a lot of known varieties for different decorations. Also pictures should be bigger IMO.
              All in all, I'm happy Having both this and Nikolaev's books you can get the whole picture

Comment

It would be great to know which ones you think are fakes.

Regards
                Gilles

Comment

Originally posted by Don D. View Post
                  Where can one order it?
                  VDMedien24.de

the German publisher from IMM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilles C. View Post

Regards
                    Gilles
                    Some Baltic Crosses , Brigade Grodno. Will post them when I have time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilles C. View Post

Regards
                      Gilles
                      Hi Gilles,
                      I finally had time to mark some of them.
                      Baltic crosses (on needle):
                      Example 14 is most probably a post war production (following the set up)
                      Example 22 seems to be a modern fake
                      Baltic cross on band:
                      Example 5 is a fake trying to be a Meybauer cross but it's not.

Brigade Grodno:
                      Both example 3 and 4 are not in order.

Also, some badges shown are not marked as post-war production while they are:
                      Rossbach Cross: 1st class example 3 / 2nd class example 5
                      Freiwilligen-Batallions Wolf : example 3

That's it in short. I do not discuss Awaloff-cross here as I need to go through this part properly. Also I do not understand why he included famous Gode modern badges , but they are there marked as such.

All in all it's nothing (I mean fakes) comparing to material included. I'm really impressed by some items shown although as I said the book is missing a lot of varieties and even some simple items. Probably he was not allowed by owners to show them.

Comment

Received my book today... no joke, its a big'n.

There are some pieces I've never seen before. For such a short lived period of time the FK sure did like badges and awards. Im particularly excited about the paper stuff shown in the book.

Comment

I need to go through the Awaloff Cross section too. But, just a quick glance tells me that some of those are Randow Crosses and the supposed Awaloff miniatures are Jungdo (Jungdeutscher Orden) Ehrenkreuzen.

Comment

Awaloff Cross

Example 5, 10, 11 are actually Randow Crosses, IMO
                            All the miniatures on page 213 are in fact Jungdo (Jungdeutscher Orden) Ehrenkreuzen, as said previously. You sometimes even find these marked, "JDo" on the lower arm. They are distinguished by their particular size and the fact that they have a shallow "V" cut at the end of the arms when compared with the deep "V" on both the Awaloff and Randow crosses.

Overall, I agree with Destruction on his assessment of the book and the awards.

I too wonder why there is so much missing. Why didn't Haarcke put out a call on all the military forums for other pieces he's missing or has omitted.

For example, I have several award document variations he hasn't shown, especially for the Silesian Eagle. In particular, As well, I have an example of the rare Leistungsabzeichen des Landesschützenverbandes Oberschlesien (page 402-03) which I have showed on WAF (http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=794813) and which I would have been perfectly happy to allow in the book. He only posts a drawing saying an original wasn't available. If he'd only known I had one and asked, I would have said, "yes". I have contributed examples to other publications, including Konstantin Nikolaev's books. I think sharing what one has with others is a big part of the hobby.

Comment

I'm becoming less impressed with this book. I've been finding mistakes in information and typos. German's not even my first language and yet I have spotted quite quickly some stupid spelling errors of place names in the sections I've read. I wonder how carefully this was proof-read.

Overall, the information available could have been presented so much better than it is. It's just sloppy. I have already found one conflict between info here and in Konstantin Nikolaev's books which I tend to trust more than this. I'm sure the deeper I go, the more I'll find that's suspect or just wrong.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X