Helmut Weitze

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were any EKs awarded for Freicorps actions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were any EKs awarded for Freicorps actions?

Were they awarded for actions to Freicorps members or only for actions during WW1?
    pseudo-expert

Originally posted by Don D. View Post
    Were they awarded for actions to Freicorps members or only for actions during WW1?
    There's been a debate about this over the years. I believe that EKs were awarded specifically for sanctioned Freikorps actions (i.e. ordered by Gustav Noske and the Weimar govt.).

I think I might have documentation somewhere for a guy who had virtually no WWI service who got the EK when he was in the Freikorps. I need to see if I can find it.

Comment

I also recall a thread over at SDA where a guy got the EK for Freikorps service.

Comment

I'm aware of EK2 documents issued by FK authorities, as follows:

Freikorps Medem (EK2, 1919, in Latvia)
        Von Brandis (Ek2, 1920)
        Eiserne Division (Ek2, 1920)
        3.Marine Brigade von Loewenfeld (May 1920)

So the answer is probably yes

Comment

Were these delayed awards or for actions that took place on those dates?

Comment

Originally posted by PaulR View Post
            That's the debate. But, I believe that these EK awards were for Freikorps service.

I have a group of award documents and Militärpass to a guy who was in a Werft Division and only served on a training ship (SMS Lothringen) from 1917-18 with no frontline service at all. He did nothing in WWI to warrant an EKII.

He was then in a Reichswehr Artillery regiment in Silesia and got the Silesian Eagle 1st and 2nd class in 1919.

He then got an EKII in May 1920 which I strongly believe was for his service in the Silesian campaigns in 1919, not WWI.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulR View Post
              EK2 Urkunde issued by FK Medem says "for Grenzschutz Ost", so no doubts. Sorry, this document does not belong to me so I can't show it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I knew the catch up awards were still being processed into the 20s.
                pseudo-expert

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I knew the catch up awards were still being processed into the 20s.
                  But, I think the catch-up awards are distinct from the ones we're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
                    But, I think the catch-up awards are distinct from the ones we're talking about.
                    I agree. There were a lot of catch-up awards after the war, but I definitely remember hearing of actual Freikorps awards. I just can’t remember where so I can’t prove it.

Comment

Here's the group to which I referred previously.

Gefreiter Gustav Krata was 43 when he enlisted in a Werft (Shipyard) Division in 1917. He served in the Werft Division from 21/8/17-10/11/17. He then transferred to SMS Lothringen which was a disarmed training ship and he served on it from 11/11/17-16/11/18. His pass lists "Kriegshandlungen des Lothringen" under campaigns. In this case, "Kreigshandlung" means war training. There's nothing in his service that would justify an EKII.

He then went into Reichswehr Artillery Regiments.
                      6/6/19-11/5/20 leichtes Munit. Kol. Rw. Art. Regt. 32
                      11/5/20-30/6/20 leichtes Munit. Kol. Rw. Art. Regt. 8

His campaign service lists "Grenzschutz Schlesien" (border defence Silesia).

He received the Silesian Eagle II on 22/10/19, Silesian Eagle 1 on 22/12/19 and the EKII on 26/5/20. His EKII document has his Reichswehr Regt. in the upper left corner, is stamped with the seal of the Staff of Feld-Art.-Regt. 233 and states that it's awarded according to the 6th Army Corps order.

There's nothing in this EK doc that suggests it's for WWI service. Rather, I think it's for service in Silesia.

Another possibility is the EKII was given out as a recognition of cumulative service where WWI service alone wouldn't justify it. So, limited WWI service combined with extensive service in the Freikorps justified the EKII being awarded. That's possibly the case here, especially since he got both the Silesian Eagle 1 and 2 first.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Brian L.; 12-20-2018, 03:15 AM.

Comment

That's a fantastic Freikorps grouping.

Comment

Interesting grouping Brian. Do we know what the 6th Army Corps order stated?
                          pseudo-expert

Comment

Interesting grouping Brian. Do we know what the 6th Army Corps order stated?
                            The order doesn't state anything specific other than the order number.

"Gemäss Verfügung der Befehlesstelle VI A.K. II.a. No. 995/2.20."

translation: According to the order of the VI Army Corps II.a. No. 995/2.20.

This order number is recorded in his Militärpass with the entry for the EKII, as well.

The EK document was issued from Neustadt, Oberschlesien on 29/7/1920, which implies that Krata was likely still in Silesia, despite leaving service at the end of June 1920.
                            Last edited by Brian L.; 12-20-2018, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for this intriguing conversation. I’ve learned so much. I know what the silasian awards are, but what we’re they for? Were they considered to be valor awards?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X