1st class Silesian eagle good or bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st class Silesian eagle good or bad

Came out of a regional auction in a large mixed lot.
    Attached Files

Hi again!

Sorry but I have strong doubts about that one: looks like a well known repro to me. Hard to say for sure because of the angle but the eye seems to have a large round pupil (instead of a small dot) and the enamel seems to be uneven with the metal cloisonné which is typical of epoxy being used instead of true cooked enamel.

Attached is an original matched set by this maker but just comparing the eye should be a good indicator

Cheers

JC
    Attached Files

Comment

Close up of head

Close up. I have this on approval. So can take it back.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hopefully, someone that really knows his stuff (like Brian) will step in but, personally, your enlargement still doesnt give me a warm and fuzzy feeling...

Because of the glare, hard to say what the eye is like (unless they got smarter and decided to fix that tell tale flaw by removing the pupil altogether and just epoxy it) but the "enamel" (or faximili thereof !) definitly "caves in" in the middle of the detail in a number of places which is typical of epoxy (unlike true enamel it shrinks over time after curiing)

JC

Comment

I agree with JC that this looks like a fake known as the double-line eye. Usually these have a clamshell screwback. So, using this type of hardware which is a type used in the 1920s and 1930s on authentic crosses may be a new attempt to get these past collectors.

Comment

Thanks everybody. This one is going back.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X