Unusual photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual photo

Ok, this is a bit of teasing - the photo is from a museum, and shows some guys in front of an armoured car with different uniforms. Can you tell what kind of unit is that?
    Attached Files

I assume if you're posting it here, it's a Freikorps unit. Whether it's German or Austrian is hard to tell.

Comment

Thinking about it further, I suspect that group is Bavarian, perhaps mixed or belonging to one unit. The soldier wearing the Adrian helmet would suggest maybe he's from Freikorps Bayreuth because they adopted the use of the French helmet. The armored car is a Daimler, I believe which was the type used by Freikorps Epp and Mobile Freikorps Bamberg.

Comment

Bolewts, thanks for chimming in, it's kind of free corps, but none of the above menitoned.

Anyone else???

Comment

Originally posted by Valter Gorenc View Post
          Bolewts, thanks for chimming in, it's kind of free corps, but none of the above menitoned.

Anyone else???
          Austrian Carinthian Freikorps? Or, conversely, Yugoslavian troops fighting against the Austrians in Carinthia?

Comment

Yes!!!! You're right with the last option!

These are Slovenian fighters in Carinthian border conflict, troops of general Rudolf Meister (ardent Slovenian patriot despite German sounding name), probably 1918-19.

Meister's fighters or Northern border fighters were volunteers, so technically not Yugoslav troops, but Slovenian (Slovenia was part of Yugoslavia then) free corps, although not "freikorps". Most of them were WW1 veterans, but there were also many younger volunteers. Usually they used AH wapons, uniforms etc., but also stuff from elsewhere, like this Adrian helmet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austro...t_in_Carinthia

My grandfather was Meister's messenger (12 years old boy) in Maribor and my great-grandfather was secretary of Slovenian national council in Maribor who proclaimed Meister a general and gave him the authorities to defend northern parts of Slovenia. Unfortunately no memorabilia remained in our family, as my grandfather's archive and library was burnt by nazis in WW2.
            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X