Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Silesian Eagles..

Hello all,

I have never posted in the Freikorp forum before. That is because I have never had any Freikorp items. Last week I got my first two Silesian Eagles.

I wanted to share and see if there are any thoughts of comments on them. I don't know anything about them so I hope they are good..

Thank you,
    Scott
    Attached Files

Hi Scott

Wait for other opinions but both look good (original) to me. The 1st class (pinback type) is definitely a Meybauer product in oxidized brass which exists in a variety of configurations but I have no idea who made the 2nd class (ribbon mounted type) but it is a type/design that we see often.

Nice find

JC

Comment

Both original and both early 1920s. The 2nd class is likely a period award piece. The 1st class Meybauer may be as well.

Comment

Hi Scott,

Two, very nice-looking Silesian Eagles. I especially like the Paul Meybauer first class. Now all you need is a ribbon for that second class.

Best regards,
        Tom
        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

I saw these in hand the other day and had mixed feelings on both pieces. Both certainly look the part and are believable. The Meybauer is a harder to find front with only four "middle" feathers. Meybauer has at least two distinct dies, this one and the standard five "middle" feathers. I have both patterns as solid pieces. This is the only Meybauer 1st class I have seen that was hollow stamped and not solid. Likewise I will say the partial hollow 2nd class is also new. I have seen hollows and solids but not a hybrid like this.
          I'm not saying these pieces are bad, just that they are two unusual patterns. Can anybody else post similar examples?

Comment

Originally posted by CRBeery View Post
            ...I'm not saying these pieces are bad, just that they are two unusual patterns. Can anybody else post similar examples?
            Sorry I cant help you with the 2nd class semi-hollow type because I dont have that one but its probably one of the most common variants encountered and I'm sure its shown in other SE threads both in 1st and 2 class form in a variety of configurations (black, silvered, brass) with the same hardware and clips in lieu of rivets.

However I can help you with the Meybauer hollow stamped 1st and 2nd class pictured below but mine are natural brass instead of oxidized like Scott's. Same hardware and folded clips instead of rivets on these which as Brian pointed out would be indicative of early pieces for me as well. I also have the same set in striated solid back with rivets and the Meybauer shield maker's mark which I beleive are later versions.

I find it interesting that you mention that the 5 feather variant is more common than the 4 feather variant: in my limited experience I have seen a lot more 4 feather SEs than 5 feather types and the 6 Meybauers I have so far are all 4feathers. I have also attached a picture of my 4 1st class SEs (Enamelled, hollow stamped with clips, striated back with 4 rivets and blackened zink with 2 rivets and they are all 4 feather types (as well as my 2 brass 2nd class)

Best regards

JC
            Attached Files

Comment

bolewts58, Tom, and Jean-Claude,

Thank you for the comments on my Silesian Eagles. Jean-Claude - I really learned a lot from your posting. Thank you very much for sharing the explanation and your pictures in this thread.

Scott

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X