Schlageter Badge, 1st version...?..opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schlageter Badge, 1st version...?..opinions

Would appreciate your opinions on this Schlageter badge and some info on the various versions...
    there is this round one
    there is an oval version
    there is a Shield version
    Which one is which...1st, 2nd, 3rd versions....and did Kunst make them all or just the round and oval.....should the swords on the round one be added on, or part of the stamping...?...this one 'appears' to be part of it...?
    Thanks in advance
    FS
    Attached Files

The one you show is ok, but over-priced at $269, IMO. The swords could either be sweated on or riveted.

There were only 6 places for bars on all 3 badges. But, there were actually 11 bars available for purchase. The NSDAP bar, while not the rarest is the most expensive at 100 € above the price of the badge.

The shield version is the 1st form made by Stempel Baumann, Dusseldorf and is of slightly higher quality construction than the other two (see attached).

The 2nd form was the large oval and 3rd form was the small round badge, both made by Paul Kust.

The fact is, though they were all made about the same time and were just a style preference for the buyer, as this was a badge available for purchase for Freikorps vets as part of their membership fees in the Schlageterbund e.V. It was essentially seen as a donation. It's assumed the small round badge was just a lower-priced version for those short of cash for the big oval badge.

The large oval badge proved to be the most popular and was thus produced in the largest quantities. The shield version was the least popular and thus has become the scarcest of the 3.

With the exception of the shield version which is worth upwards of $400 (and worth it, I guess), the oval and round badges, unless they have multiple bars (especially the NSDAP bar) are for the most part over-priced on just about every dealer site around: the oval ones routinely being priced at $300 and up and the round ones at $250 and up. They are comparatively common and yet command high prices. I suppose that's because of their link to the Nazis.

As a purest Freikorps collector, I'd rather spend that money on something that was actually part of the Freikorps service and not some bit of Nazi propaganda bling (which this is) available for purchase to anyone who was more or less breathing during the Freikorps period - just my 2 cents worth.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian L.; 01-31-2016, 02:01 AM.

Comment

swords...

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
      The one you show is ok, but over-priced at $269, IMO. The swords could either be sweated on or riveted.

There were only 6 places for bars on all 3 badges. But, there were actually 11 bars available for purchase. The NSDAP bar, while not the rarest is the most expensive at 100 € above the price of the badge.

The shield version is the 1st form made by Stempel Baumann, Dusseldorf and is of slightly higher quality construction than the other two (see attached).

The 2nd form was the large oval and 3rd form was the small round badge, both made by Paul Kust.

The fact is, though they were all made about the same time and were just a style preference for the buyer, as this was a badge available for purchase for Freikorps vets as part of their membership fees in the Schlageterbund e.V. It was essentially seen as a donation. It's assumed the small round badge was just a lower-priced version for those short of cash for the big oval badge.

The large oval badge proved to be the most popular and was thus produced in the largest quantities. The shield version was the least popular and thus has become the scarcest of the 3.

With the exception of the shield version which is worth upwards of $400 (and worth it, I guess), the oval and round badges, unless they have multiple bars (especially the NSDAP bar) are for the most part over-priced on just about every dealer site around: the oval ones routinely being priced at $300 and up and the round ones at $250 and up. They are comparatively common and yet command high prices. I suppose that's because of their link to the Nazis.

As a purest Freikorps collector, I'd rather spend that money on something that was actually part of the Freikorps service and not some bit of Nazi propaganda bling (which this is) available for purchase to anyone who was more or less breathing during the Freikorps period - just my 2 cents worth.

Thank you for all the super information....am informed the swords are NOT a separate piece.....is this a deal breaker..?

Comment

Originally posted by Pink View Post
        Thank you for all the super information....am informed the swords are NOT a separate piece.....is this a deal breaker..?
        No. I already said it was genuine.

But, here's one that's cheaper.

http://www.emedals.com/europe/german...aul-kust-30144

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X