DRK Honor Cross question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DRK Honor Cross question

Can someone please tell me the dates for the Red Cross Ist pattern award, and how common are the 1st class crosses? Also any tips on avoiding fakes?

The Prussian Red Cross 1st class was established on October 1, 1898. All crosses were produced by the Berlin Mint, but sent out to various jewelers for chasing and enameling resulting in several different enamel finishes. Originals come with solid and pieced crowns and flat, square pins, round needle pins and coke-bottle shaped pins.

The fakes usually have poor details in the crowns, rough edges, a very thin and poorly mounted pin and brassy-looking gilding. The enamel is usually too dark and badly applied because it's acrylic rather than glass enamel.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I got the name wrong but I was thinking about the 1st class of the type below. I saw the one on Ratisbons auction which is minus it's ribbon so I didn't bid on it as I thought the ribbon would be difficult to replace. In the end it seems to have sold for a very reasonable price. I tried searching for more 1st class crosses online, but was unable to discover much about them.

http://www.milimem.com/images/FM0613-1.jpg

Comment

You posted in the Imperial forum. So, I assumed you were asking about the Prussian RKI.

The one you are showing is Weimar period and should be posted in that forum.

Comment

Yes, sorry. My mistake. MODERATOR PLEASE MOVE TO CORRECT AREA.

Comment

I am amazed at the quality of period pieces, and how they were made compared to modern fakes and repros. You would think with all the technology we have now we can't make perfect items. Some items are poorly made and some very well made but still can't match the quality from back then. Some items from back then are beautiful very well made

Comment

The 1st class on Ratisbons looks good. I have 2 second class but the last time I saw a 1st class for sale it went for around 400 euro, which I thought was too much, although it did have a full length of ribbon and had been worn.

I have tried researching the 1st class online, but can't find much info. Perhaps I can learn more if I can get the thread moved.

Comment

Found out the dates - 1922 - 1934, but still not finding much on the net about the 1st class neck order. Lots of second class out there, but 1st class seem thin on the ground. Could it be that not many were awarded during the Weimar period?

Comment

OK, one final try. Does anyone here own a 1st class of the Weimar Red cross award? I can't believe that the one that sold on Ratisbons for 200 euro was so very rare that it's almost unknown!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X