Rare Selbstschutz Bataillon Bergerhoff Defence Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare Selbstschutz Bataillon Bergerhoff Defence Badge

After much back and forth negotiations, I finally acquired one of the scarcer Freikorps awards.

Bewährungsabzeichen der Freiwilligen Selbstsсhutz-Bаtаillоn Bergerhоff (Schwarze Schar) - Defence Badge of the Volunteer Self-Defence Battalion Bergerhoff (Black Company) - Gold Class.

Freiwilligen Selbstsсhutz-Bаtаillоn Bergerhоff (Schwarze Schar)

Founded by Oberleutnant Karl Bergerhoff in November 1920 from the “Sportverein Schwarze Adler” which had been formed in August 1920.

Original strength – 400
    Strength as of May 1921 – 1000
    5 Bicycle Companies
    2 MG Companies
    Artillery battery
    Mortar Company
    Ambulance Company
    Support Company

Until May 1921, the Batl. participated in small skirmishes with Polish insurgents.

On May 4, 1921, the Batl. Was deployed to the city of Ratibor for the protection of the city and vicinities and to maintain "public order".

During the third Polish revolt, the Battalion fought against the Polish separatists and took part in the storming of the Annaberg Mountain on May 21-26, 1921. In the bloody fighting, 14 volunteers were killed and 123 were wounded.

On July 7th, 1921 the battalion was deployed in the area of Neiße in Upper Silesia, where it was disbanded in 1922.

On May 21 1921 Bergerhoff founded and personally designed two awards for military personnel:

1/The Defence badge (Bewährungsabzeichen) in 2 classes (silver and gold) – 3 and 6 months service

2/Upper Silesian Merit Cross (Oberschlesisches Veridenstkreuz) 1st and 2nd class

Exact numbers awarded is unknown. Although it is believed that approximately 30 x 1st class Merit Crosses were awarded. No known award document has been seen for either award.

Wearing of both awards was banned from November 11, 1935.
    Attached Files

Aarrrgh! I'm envy Congrats, Brian. I've seen only 2 of these thus far in my whole collecting life? and only on fotos.

Comment

[emoji33][emoji33] nice Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Destruction View Post
        Aarrrgh! I'm envy Congrats, Brian. I've seen only 2 of these thus far in my whole collecting life? and only on fotos.
        Thanks a lot. The good news is I'm getting old and my collection will need to go in a few years before I do . So, you still might be able to get this one, if you don't find one in the meantime.

I'm just the current caretaker.

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
          Thanks a lot. The good news is I'm getting old and my collection will need to go in a few years before I do . So, you still might be able to get this one, if you don't find one in the meantime.

I'm just the current caretaker.

Looks like it showed up safe and sound, congratulations on an excellent acquisition!

When it comes time to find a new caretaker, "I'am your Huckleberry!"

Comment

Originally posted by mchap View Post

When it comes time to find a new caretaker, "I'am your Huckleberry!"
            No no, I have a better company for it!
            Attached Files

Comment

Let's add also some pictures...not mine, alas.
              Attached Files

Comment

Uh oh, me too....

Excellent photos Serg, thank you for sharing!
                Attached Files

Comment

Ok. So, that's 2 merit crosses. I wonder where the other 28 are?

Great photos, Serg. I'd kill to have those.

Comment

Ok. So, that's 2 merit crosses. I wonder where the other 28 are?

upload immagini gratis

Comment

Excellent, Mario I know about one more, plus the one from Hartung catalog. 5 all together.
                      Interesting enough, I know about only two 2nd class badges, plus the one from Hartung. Any more out there?

Comment

Both from Polish museums, Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Destruction View Post
                          Excellent, Mario I know about one more, plus the one from Hartung catalog. 5 all together.
                          Interesting enough, I know about only two 2nd class badges, plus the one from Hartung. Any more out there?
                          Quite a rare club you guys are in. I somehow doubt I'll ever get one. But, then again I never thought I would get the Defence Badge. So, you never know.

Comment

Very nice and rare!
                            O.F.K. means "Oberschlesisches Freiwilligenkorps"
                            Regards
                            G.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X