Commemorative Plaque of the Deutsche Schutzdivision 1920

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commemorative Plaque of the Deutsche Schutzdivision 1920

I just picked this up in a coin auction.

Freikorps Commemorative plaque given to veterans of the Deutsche Schutzdivision which included the Freiwilliges Landesschützenkorps which later became Reichswehr Brigade 4.
    Attached Files

Nice catch Brian, love the artwork!

This is a little unrelated, and I understand varying opinions exist concerning the FK Wurzburg plaque, but with your new acquisition in hand what do you think?
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mike

Actually it is related as I think these are the only two official commemorative plaques issued by Freikorps.

The FK Würzburg plaque has been faked. For instance, there is a fake one on Andre Hüsken's website for sale for 600EUR.

However the one you show is genuine.

Comment

I forgot to add that the FK Würzburg plaque is more common than the one I showed, but commands a higher price because of who made up this Freikorps and the story behind its formation.

Comment

Interesting, I haven't done any reading on FK Wurzburg yet, Axis History Forum database says they were formed from Bavarian Reserve Jäger Regiment 15, impressive.

The plaque pictured I picked up off ebay for far less than Hueskens offering (fake no less), vendor mark ups on this stuff is just silly.

Comment

Originally posted by mchap View Post
            Interesting, I haven't done any reading on FK Wurzburg yet, Axis History Forum database says they were formed from Bavarian Reserve Jäger Regiment 15, impressive.

The plaque pictured I picked up off ebay for far less than Hueskens offering (fake no less), vendor mark ups on this stuff is just silly.
            Bavarian Reserve Jägerregiment No.15 (1st Bavarian Reserve Jagerbattalion and Caucasian Railway Protection Battalion) were raised in August 1918 and fought against the Turks in Georgia. They were the last German unit to return to Germany, arriving by a various round about way in April 1919. They all were awarded the Georgian Order of Queen Tamara. Upon arriving at the train station in Wurzburg they formed FK Wurzburg and headed to Munich to join other Freikorps units for the attack against the Munich Soviet in May.

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
              Bavarian Reserve Jägerregiment No.15 (1st Bavarian Reserve Jagerbattalion and Caucasian Railway Protection Battalion) were raised in August 1918 and fought against the Turks in Georgia. They were the last German unit to return to Germany, arriving by a various round about way in April 1919. They all were awarded the Georgian Order of Queen Tamara. Upon arriving at the train station in Wurzburg they formed FK Wurzburg and headed to Munich to join other Freikorps units for the attack against the Munich Soviet in May.

Why did they fought against the Turks?

Comment

Originally posted by Canutt View Post
                Why did they fought against the Turks?
                The short answer is that Turkey was trying to take over Georgia and Germany had signed a treaty with Georgia in May 1918 guaranteeing its sovereignty.

read about the Caucasus campaign here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German...sus_Expedition

http://www.conflicts.rem33.com/image...gia/Lang_9.htm

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
                  The short answer is that Turkey was trying to take over Georgia and Germany had signed a treaty with Georgia in May 1918 guaranteeing its sovereignty.

read about the Caucasus campaign here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German...sus_Expedition

http://www.conflicts.rem33.com/image...gia/Lang_9.htm
                  Thanks for the links.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X