Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Austrian Freikorps?

Hi Guys,

I've been a bit busy lately. but that hasn't stopped me from keeping my eyes open! Here's a piece that I was thrilled to get over the weekend for a laughable price. I've seen these from time to time, but never really knew enough about the the history in order to ante up and acquire one.

Can anyone elaborate on the history of these badges?

This one came in a beautiful wood-based case with the crest of Wien on the top. It has a pedestal base for the badge to rest on. The badge itself is large (49mm tall by 39mm wide) and is silver gilt. It is beautifully hallmarked to the firm of Reinemer & Spiegel Wien. VIII/2 in a wonderful Jugendstil style with a lotus design. A very large type of badge for a lapel type attachment IMO.

Front of badge reads 'Wiener Bürger Vereinigung' and enamel is very fine.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance and happy hunting!

reverse

Comment

with case:

Comment

IMO neither the design nor the association name suggests a military connection. I'd peg it as pre-W.W.I one as well. A neat piece nonetheless.

Comment

Sausage Contest!

Looks like a pre-1900 Deutscher Schnitzel Bund award for exemplary sausage making skills to me. A fine example, and quite rare cased! Nice find

Comment

Whoops, correction!

That's the Hamburg (note the Hamburg castle seal at the top)Wiener-Burger Bund award. Few people realize how serious the Germans were when it came to bar-b-que. In fact, I've heard that some of the finest BBQ to be found in the south (That's anything below Connecticut to the rest of you blokes) are run by a team of Germans from Altona. Haven't you guys heard of Han's & Fritz's??? The Jamaicans have nothing on the Germans when it comes to Jerk Pork, mmmmmmm, mmmmmmm yummy!

Comment

tsk,tsk,tsk....

Ok, the Freikorps bit on the heading was a stretch. So far I gather that this is a type of Landwehr award. I was hoping that someone out there could elaborate a bit. Oh, well...

But thanks for the funnies, though!

Comment

Here's an accompanying badge for the Wiener Freiwillige Rettungsgesellschaft *IX.DEC.1881* issued for Kriegshilfdienst 1914.

Bronze gilt and marked to 'E.S. & Co.'

Comment

reverse also has an oyster shell logo in addition the the makers' name.

Comment

Dear Eric,

I think Histaria was dead right. It is not even Landwehr - it seems by the nature of the badge, the name of the organization and the things pictured on it to be a purely civilian organization with aims like "raise funds for the new opera house" and the likes.

But it is very pretty, well both are.

Cheers, Frank H.
                    Cheers, Frank

Comment

Good guess!

Frank, that was a very good guess! You guys are getting closer! It has definite military connotations, by the way...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X