Another Schlesischer Adler I Klass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Schlesischer Adler I Klass

Me (again) with another recent SA 1 class I couldnt resist. To me, it looks like a period painted tombac/brass specimen with a particularly nice head design and later quality hardware (block hinge, flat pin etc) and rivetted devices. However, its my first encounter with a variant that doesnt have the wing cut outs...One has to wonder if its a "monday morning special" or the lack of cut outs is typical for this maker/variant?

Also interesting to note is the round "dimple" between the legs of the eagle which was intended as a positioning/drilling guide for the addition of swords/wreath devices. You also see this "guide" on some enamelled versions

Opinions/comments welcomed

Thanks

JC
    Attached Files

The pin and hinge are actually very typical of early post WW1, 1920s awards. Not later at all. When I get some time, I'll check my Silesian Eagle book to see if I can find this one.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your help Brian, much appreciated

JC

Comment

Page from the book, 2nd class
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Destruction View Post
          Page from the book, 2nd class
          Ah, you beat me to it! Thanks Serg.

Comment

Yes the 2nd class shown in the book does look to be of the same design as mine: great! Either I need to "brush up" on my Russian or my glasses are due for a change again but I can only read "Für Schlesien"... is there any indication in the text as to who the maker is ?

Again, thank you very much Serg & Brian
            Regards

JC

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Claude View Post
              Yes the 2nd class shown in the book does look to be of the same design as mine: great! Either I need to "brush up" on my Russian or my glasses are due for a change again but I can only read "Für Schlesien"... is there any indication in the text as to who the maker is ?

Again, thank you very much Serg & Brian
              Regards

JC
              This book is absolutely fantastic. But, the Russian poses a challenge for me. I can read some of it. But, usually what I do when I need to translate a page of this book is scan it, use OCR software and then a Russian-English translator like Babylon...or, if I'm lazy, I ask Serg!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
                This book is absolutely fantastic. But, the Russian poses a challenge for me. I can read some of it. But, usually what I do when I need to translate a page of this book is scan it, use OCR software and then a Russian-English translator like Babylon...or, if I'm lazy, I ask Serg!!!
                No problem Brian

A bit too technical for my limited computer skills I'm afraid... Yes it does look like a fantastic book and an important one at that (over 400 pages!) surprizing to see it was never translated...No big deal about not knowing the maker (just another unknown one amongst many!) all that really matters is that its a good one

Thanks again for your help

Best regards

JC

Comment

Is there a source that sells the Russian SA book to overseas buyers?

Comment

Originally posted by mchap View Post
                    Is there a source that sells the Russian SA book to overseas buyers?
                    Serg (Destruction) mentioned in the "Reference" thread that the Russian SA book was out of stock at the moment

JC

Comment

Thanks Jean Claude, its been out of stock for some time now. I'll just have to be patient.

Comment

Just to add to the original thread to keep things together...
                        I have just located a zink version (with wings cut out) of the brass version (without wings cut out) posted last december. IMO both came from the same die but in addition to the metal and cut out differences the rivets and hardware are also different

Cheers

JC
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X