• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freikorps with Tank Car

Yesterday a good Friend give me thos pikture

Opinons please

Comment

Could you scan some close-ups of the uniforms. please? I have some doubts that these are even Germans. They look Latvian or Estonian. The armored car doesn't look like the types used by the Freikorps. The absence of any German markings on the car is also suspicious.

Comment

One of Those are a Grand grand Father From my Friend

Comment

Originally posted by Masch19 View Post
          One of Those are a Grand grand Father From my Friend
          Well then, can you provide information about your friend's Great Grandfather's service?

There are no identifying marks or insignia to determine who these men are.

As it turns out, similar armored cars were used by the Bayr. Schützen-korps (Freikorps Epp).
          So, that might be a place to start.

Comment

I always know that the family only lived in merseburg

Comment

Thanks for the close-up shot. I am pretty sure that these men are police, based on their uniforms, especially the dark shoulder boards which are not military. Also, the man on horseback is wearing a cross belt (Riemen) which was only worn by police and veteran's groups like the Stahlhelm. Freikorps and Reichswehr never wore cross belts.

Comment

So do you think it is police. In which time you date it. if you want to have scanned image which as I send it to you

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
                  Freikorps and Reichswehr never wore cross belts.

While I agree with your assessment, I think there are exceptions to cross belts. This photo of Rossbach and company is one of my favourites.

Comment

Mike

That photo was taken during the Beer Hall Putsch period, 1923 and therefore not technically Freikorps, although made up of former Freikorps members wearing all manner of tunics and accoutrements, Freikorps insignia and awards.

But, in 1919-21 period, most frontline Freikorps units tended to wear old Imperial or Reichswehr uniforms and more or less follow regulations. The Sam Brown belt was adopted from the British later on by paramilitary groups, to which ex-Freikorps members flocked after they were banned. In the early post-Freikorps days 1923-25, they tended to bling themselves out with all kinds of paraphernalia. None of these groups would likely have had armored cars, as even military small arms were banned at this stage, at least in principle.
                    Last edited by Brian L.; 11-04-2014, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Hey Brian. You make a good point... I was going off of Wooley's book which I believe dates the photo 1919.
                      At a slightly closer look this isnt the case due to Annaberg Cross awards being worn...and SSOS badges (?).

I just received a copy of his book, and its been my primary reading material for the last couple days.... need to always double check references.

Comment

Originally posted by mchap View Post
                        Hey Brian. You make a good point... I was going off of Wooley's book which I believe dates the photo 1919.
                        At a slightly closer look this isnt the case due to Annaberg Cross awards being worn...and SSOS badges (?).

I just received a copy of his book, and its been my primary reading material for the last couple days.... need to always double check references.
                        I got this photo mixed up with the one below which shows Rossbach in a Wind-jacke during the Beer Hall Putsch.
                        In your photo, they seem to be mostly SSOS and Oberland Bund and it's a later Freikorps vets picture. Although Rossbach is in the picture (you cut him off on the left side of the bottom pic), these guys don't appear to be SA-Rossbach as none of them are wearing the Rossbach Cross, except him. The Annaburg Cross, which I see a couple are wearing would date the photo from no earlier than 1931 as the cross wasn't awarded until May 1931. Maybe your photo was of an awards ceremony as some appear to be wearing newly awarded Silesian Eagles.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Brian L.; 11-04-2014, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Hi Gents,
                          Sorry, but the picture shown was made in 1921 during the 3rd uprising (see picture---Stab Rossbach in Kreuzburg O.S. from Der Reiter Gen Osten zeitschrift).
                          The bage you're taking for Annaberg Kreuz is in fact another FK award, Pitschener Kreuz.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Masch19 View Post
                            Yesterday a good Friend give me thos pikture
                            is this an Austro-Daimler Panzerwagen?

Comment

Of course, Pitschener Kreuz. How stupid of me. I've seen that pic and remember now that I made notes about the cross. Thanks Serg.

As for the original topic. I don't know much about the armored cars. But, it's possible that it's Austrian and they're Austrian police.

I just don't think they're Freikorps.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X