Kurland medal - SSVK 1919 Freikorps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kurland medal - SSVK 1919 Freikorps

I would like to hear some thoughts about this medal. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Some details.
    Attached Files

Comment

More.
      Attached Files

Comment

This setup is familiar, was it a recent purchase?

Some of the details are muted, but it could be a build up of tarnish... its hard to tell if the grubby fingerprints are intentional or real oxidization. I think this one is probably ok but Im keen to hear other opinions.

Looking at these two sources as reference..
        WAF thread:
        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=kurland

NOT GOOD, close up photo of ebay # 221560476549 attached:
        Attached Files

Comment

In my opinion this medal is a fake. The letter "K" makes me say this.

Comment

Is it possible to get photos of the back straight on, with same sort of angled lighting? Initially my doubts were with the backside as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Canutt View Post
              In my opinion this medal is a fake. The letter "K" makes me say this.
              I do not see a problem with the "K"???
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mchap View Post
                Is it possible to get photos of the back straight on, with same sort of angled lighting? Initially my doubts were with the backside as well.
                The problem is the light!

PS: I was sure, somebody would ask me for such a better photo. I have already tried it!

Comment

No chance at the moment. Here is a photo with camera flash, but it gives you a wrong impression.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Is it possible to get a photo of the crest/eagle head straight on? (EDIT: ahh, you posted it when I was typing my message, thanks)

Its pretty clear that there is scrape damage at the lower left backside, which is effecting the foot of the cross , makers mark and edge. I can understand why a person would think the shallow K is the sign of a fake, although take into consideration the rest of the wear at the bottom half of the medal, it appears consistent.... in hand I bet it would be more clear.

Comment

Attached is a backside photo of the Kurland medal on ebay. The two medals share similar attributes which isnt good.

Since I've never had an original in hand I'm going to leave it at that, and let more experienced folks chime in.
                      Attached Files

Comment

common fake. This seller is a known crook. Avoid at all costs.

These are die cast from some unfinished copper alloy and artificially oxidized. Originals are bronze and have a matte gilt finish.
                        These fakes are easy to spot because they are too thin, lack detail and the area around the Oertel, Berlin maker mark on the reverse has casting residue and file marks. The Oertel mark fades a bit at the bottom. Originals are crisp.

Comment

Are there other known fakes with different identifying details? Is it possible to divulge the information concerning the medals thickness?

Comment

Originally posted by mchap View Post
                            Are there other known fakes with different identifying details? Is it possible to divulge the information concerning the medals thickness?
                            I don't know the exact thickness of the medal. I just know this one is off. It has many things wrong with it. But, as far as I know this is the only fake in circulation and originated with the "Club" before moving on to other suspect dealers.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X