Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

research

Hi
    Are there any good books in English covering the insignia of the Freikorps / Weimar Period?
    many thanks
    andy

Hi Andy, your post is right underneath the pinned "References" thread. Only English ref is from Verkuilen Ager, and the badges are sketches, not photos.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=519806

Comment

many thanks
      sorry missed the thread
      regards
      andy

Comment

Originally posted by andya View Post
        Hi
        Are there any good books in English covering the insignia of the Freikorps / Weimar Period?
        many thanks
        andy
        There is a large format book I see all the time at SOS....possibly by Schiffer publishing (?) on the Freikorps. You might check eBay or Battlefield Books in Minneapolis.....Bob Johnson might have it. Osprey Publishing has a soft bound reference: The German Freikorps 1918-23 which is pretty easy to find also.

Robt.

Comment

Originally posted by RGD51 View Post
          There is a large format book I see all the time at SOS....possibly by Schiffer publishing (?) on the Freikorps. You might check eBay or Battlefield Books in Minneapolis.....Bob Johnson might have it. Osprey Publishing has a soft bound reference: The German Freikorps 1918-23 which is pretty easy to find also.

Robt.
          I doubt these large format books you mention cover Freikorps awards and insignia in any comprehensive way, or long-time collectors like myself would be aware of them.

The most comprehensive book on unit insignia remains Haarcke's catalogue in German. Freikorps awards, especially the Baltic Cross and Silesian Eagle are covered extensively in the large format 2 volume set in Russian, which are nearly impossible to get now. There are also reprints of von Salomon's 1938 book that shows many of the unit insignia. Originals of this book are around but are often pricey.

There's nothing comparable in English, except for Verkuilen's hand-drawn references from 1972 (awards) and 1978 (insignia).

The Osprey Book is an ok introduction to the subject. But, it's very general and fairly light-weight on solid information.
          Last edited by Brian L.; 07-25-2014, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I found a copy of the Osprey book for $11.00 USD... but it is not something I'd refer to for badges or awards. Its good for history buffs and model/miniature builders.

My favourite book reference has been Haarcke and Hartung.... I also have a copy of V. Agers hand drawn "Insignia" book (1978). I use each one for various ID and valuation help but not all of the them are accurate, so be cautious.

Luckily we have bolewts58 who speaks perfect English, ha!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X