Silisian Eagle 2nd Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silisian Eagle 2nd Class

Could I please pass this by you guys ? I feel it's original but just to be sure ..

Many thanks, Ian.

I've always been led to believe that the enameled SA with the double line at the eye (i.e. open eyeball) were recent fakes made with cold acrylic enamel instead of glass enamel. Looking at yours, the enameling is not very well done. So, I have concerns.

However, due to info in a new and detailed reference on the SA showing this type, I have a question on these to another knowledgeable collector to try to verify if all of these are fake, or if these are in fact, ok.

When I find out, I'll give you the or .

Comment

I thought the eyelet for the ribbon ring was always on top of the eagles head. (for this type)

Comment

Hi Ian

My initial response would have been to "pass". The open eye and the uneven/recessed black finish (typical of painted finish rather than true enamel) are features usually associated to a common type of repro which exists in pinback and screwback first class and second class. As for the back ring (instead of top ring) as Juonen pointed out this is a feature I havent seen on this type of SE II either so far but its typical for original Meybauer SE II though.

I'm attaching a pict of an original SE II from which the repro is supposively derived (note the eye, the enamel which is "flush" with the detail of the eagle and the position of the medal ring) but, in light of Bolewts58 comments about new info surfacing in a reference book about these you should wait for his confirmation. As an SE fan, I am also very interested to see how this turns out too

Best regards

JC
        Attached Files

Comment

I haven't heard back from my source for a translation. I have the book, but can't read Russian.

In any regard, the eyeball aside, I tend to agree with Jean-Claude. The quality of this 2nd class is just not consistent with the workmanship on period pieces.

The fact that the enamel is recessed in several place indicates the likely use of cold acrylic enamel which shrinks when it hardens.

I would also pass on this piece as I believe it's a modern fake.

Comment

I heard from my source and he substantiates my analysis.

The SAII that began the thread is a fake.

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
              I heard from my source and he substantiates my analysis.

The SAII that began the thread is a fake.
              Thank you gentlemen (sorry for the delay I'd forgotten all about this thread !) it will be winging it's way back from whence it came.

Cheers, Ian.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X