Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stadtwehr Bremen Gorget 1st Model

A recent acquisition

Stadtwehr Bremen gorget, 1st model complete with chain.
    Attached Files

Nice gorget. Not third reichs piece, but any kind of gorgets are great.

Comment

Originally posted by Luko View Post
      Nice gorget. Not third reichs piece, but any kind of gorgets are great.
      Well, this isn't a TR forum, is it?

Comment

Nice one! I would think finding one with the chain is very rare. Is there a known number of variations for the Stadtwehr Bremen gorget? Ive seen one other besides this type, with a higher number stamped.

Any known fakes?

Comment

Most of these gorgets have T-shaped studs for a chain and higher numbers. Thought the highest number seen was 2700. In my gorget-book there is a photo with at least eleven of such gorgets in wear! The Stadtwehr was raised in February 1919 and dissolved at the end of February 1921.

Comment

Originally posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
            Most of these gorgets have T-shaped studs for a chain and higher numbers. Thought the highest number seen was 2700. In my gorget-book there is a photo with at least eleven of such gorgets in wear! The Stadtwehr was raised in February 1919 and dissolved at the end of February 1921.
            The T-shaped studs or lugs are on the 2nd pattern, which had a 4-digit number instead of a 3-digit number. I haven't been able to find out why or when the design was modified. The largest number I've seen, so far is actually 3815. But, it's generally believed that the first ones issued in February 1919 were of the type I've shown below. Haarcke shows both types in his Freikorps unit badge book.

To answer your question, Mike, I've never seen or heard of any fakes of this gorget.

Here's an example of the 2nd type.
            Attached Files

Comment

Brian, thanks for the answer concerning the fakes (or lack thereof).

Would you or Wilhelm happen to know what the numbers signify? They go quite high, in Haarckes book the 2nd type is stamped 4107... which seems to be the highest so far? It would be interesting to see the photos in the book, I'll have to put that on my library list.

Comment

Originally posted by mchap View Post
                Brian, thanks for the answer concerning the fakes (or lack thereof).

Would you or Wilhelm happen to know what the numbers signify? They go quite high, in Haarckes book the 2nd type is stamped 4107... which seems to be the highest so far? It would be interesting to see the photos in the book, I'll have to put that on my library list.
                I think the gorget was registered to a wearer or wearers so they could keep track. The 1st model has 3 digits and the 2nd model has 4. The same system was used on the Hamburg auxiliary police badges and various Einwohnerwehr armbands.

Comment

I figured the numbers could be related to an ID, or person. Although if the numbering system was explicit and we looked at Haarcke's book could that mean there were "4,107" gorgets assigned to Stadtwehr personnel? The one on ebay was 3185. Thats a lot of gorgets!

Comment

Originally posted by mchap View Post
                    I figured the numbers could be related to an ID, or person. Although if the numbering system was explicit and we looked at Haarcke's book could that mean there were "4,107" gorgets assigned to Stadtwehr personnel? The one on ebay was 3185. Thats a lot of gorgets!
                    I don't know really. I only know that the first pattern seems to have had 3 digits and the second, 4 digits.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X