Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schlesisches Adler

My first-ever Freikorps award.

I am really impressed with this piece -- enameled, heavy, vaulted pinback with swords.

I would appreciate any information. I know this was never an official award, especially not enameled, with swords. But I am interested if someone has an idea about the maker (I have an idea myself but I don't know).

Thank you for your feedback.
    Attached Files
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

More.
    Attached Files
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Comment

No no, Trevor, it's not Godet!
      If serious, the maker is still unknown. Beautiful badge, and first time seen with swords.
      Why, it was an official award, even allowed to wear in times of the 3rd Reich, enameled version as well. What was not official are swords on this badge.
      All in all, welcome to the world of Freikorps awards

Comment

Originally posted by Destruction View Post
        No no, Trevor, it's not Godet!
        If serious, the maker is still unknown. Beautiful badge, and first time seen with swords.
        Why, it was an official award, even allowed to wear in times of the 3rd Reich, enameled version as well. What was not official are swords on this badge.
        All in all, welcome to the world of Freikorps awards
        The swords and okleaves were both official during the Weimar period, and were instituted because it became necessary after the 3rd Polish Uprising in Silesia to recognize additional service beyond the basic 3 months for 2nd class and 6 months for 1st class. It was only under the 3rd Reich that the swords and oakleaves were disallowed.

Comment

Thanks Serge and bolewts for the additional information.

I was going by the OEK, which lists many of the different types as "unofficial." So I guess they are writing with the (later) Third Reich regulations in mind.

The same book states that the enameled pieces were unofficial -- something of a luxury piece I suppose. Is that true? Or were the enameled awards ever official pieces also?

Anyone have more thoughts about the maker?
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
            Thanks Serge and bolewts for the additional information.

I was going by the OEK, which lists many of the different types as "unofficial." So I guess they are writing with the (later) Third Reich regulations in mind.

The same book states that the enameled pieces were unofficial -- something of a luxury piece I suppose. Is that true? Or were the enameled awards ever official pieces also?

Anyone have more thoughts about the maker?
            Enamelled badges are all private purchase. The official award pieces were rather rough by comparison. Usually they were blackened iron/brass/bronze, or plain brass with the crescent and cross and Fur Schlesien band attached with wires rather than rivets. The pin was usually the same style as WWI wound badges.

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
              The swords and okleaves were both official during the Weimar period, and were instituted because it became necessary after the 3rd Polish Uprising in Silesia to recognize additional service beyond the basic 3 months for 2nd class and 6 months for 1st class. It was only under the 3rd Reich that the swords and oakleaves were disallowed.
              Mmmm...not exactly. The wreath (and later swords) was awarded for special bravery and courage during the fight in Upper Silesia for those who already had the 1st and 2nd classes of SE award, and basically was designed for wear on the band of the 2nd class medal.

Comment

Originally posted by Destruction View Post
                Mmmm...not exactly. The wreath (and later swords) was awarded for special bravery and courage during the fight in Upper Silesia for those who already had the 1st and 2nd classes of SE award, and basically was designed for wear on the band of the 2nd class medal.
                You articulated it more precisely. But, I think we're more or less talking about the same thing.

I forgot to mention that it was already for holders of the 2nd and 1st class. But, I'm sure it was instituted during the 3rd Polish Uprising in Upper Silesia.

Comment

Hi Trevor,

I'm sure you picked up this particular example because the hardware is so similar to AWS EKs.

A very nice example, whoever the maker may be.

Isn't there an AWS catalog around somewhere?

Regards
                  Mike
                  Regards
                  Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Hi Mike, thanks for your comments.

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
                    I'm sure you picked up this particular example because the hardware is so similar to AWS EKs.
                    Bingo.

For some reason catalogues from this maker are very hard to find. I've seen one from 1908, which of course doesn't help us here.
                    Best regards,
                    Streptile

Comment

Hi,

This is my first post so I hope I am not covering old ground.

I am interested in The Schlesien Order and as I am only starting out in the world of collecting I have little idea of how much things should cost.

Are there many fakes out there and if so are they easy to recognise? I just bought a Schlesien Adler second class without swords from a German dealer. When I went to research it I found to my dismay that it was much cheaper from British and Canadian dealers, which leaves one with a bad feeling.

Does anyone know how many were produced?

Comment

Values are: look online to see what sellers want and compare and average it out across the world.

How many made: nobody knows for sure , but this is a first for one like this i have ever seen also.

Being a starter in the hobby or not is of no importance , frankly I pay little attention to where anybody is in the hobby, we are all the same. Sometimes old collectors claim to be starting out,since we are on computers and cant see who is who, and or some say theyare buying for their kids who are collecting, but Im not saying you are not being forthright, at all, just stating that those comments are neither here or there as it changes nothing if I were selling something to anybody stating stuff like that, as it even if true wont get you a discount or even a free cup of coffee. Best stick with , I am interested in this type stuff, and forget your newness. Good luck in your quest, welcome to the waf, and although these badges not hard to find, You will likely not find one like this one in your whole life, as i believe this is a rare example and may be worth (>)double the price of the standard type IMO. good find streptile.

Comment

Rare Schlesien Adler to a Woman

rare Schlesien Adler II Stufe to a women who was the Director of Billets for troops serving in Silesia (Maybe 'Hüttendirektor' could be euphemistically translated as 'Madam' of a brothel. Who knows? LOL ) . This is the standard document issued by the Directorate of the Self-defence forces in Upper Silesia.

Claudius75
                          It's impossible to determine how many Silesian Eagles were produced between 1921 and 1945. But, there were certainly many, many more produced than were awarded.
                          I'm not sure if there are still records of how many were awarded, as many Freikorps archives were lost in WWII bombings.

As for reproductions, they certainly exist, but not in as large quantities (yet) as other awards. However, there are increasing numbers of genuine ones being converted to value-added Frankensteins by the addition of swords and oakleaves and swords. These are harder to spot, unless one is an experienced collector.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
                            rare Schlesien Adler II Stufe to a women who was the Director of Billets for troops serving in Silesia (Maybe 'Hüttendirektor' could be euphemistically translated as 'Madam' of a brothel. Who knows? LOL ) . This is the standard document issued by the Directorate of the Self-defence forces in Upper Silesia.
                            Oh no....! I think that woman would be very unhappy with your interpretation of the word "Hüttendirektor".

Hütte, Hüttenwesen are words from the Metallurgie (metallurgy). A place where steel was made for example. In Oberschlesien you could find many Stahlhütten.

PS: I hope her ghost will not visit you tonight!
                            Last edited by Sergeant 08; 08-12-2012, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergeant 08 View Post
                              Oh no....! I think that woman would be very unhappy with your interpretation of the word "Hüttendirektor".

Hütte, Hüttenwesen are words from the Metallurgie (metallurgy). A place where steel was made for example. In Oberschlesien you could find many Stahlhütten.

PS: I hope her ghost will not visit you tonight!

Thanks for the correction. I must burn my dictionary. I always thought Hütten were huts, dwellings or lodgings.

I checked on Babylon and 'Hüttenwesen' translates as Steel Industry. So, I assume she was a director of a steel factory - quite a job for a woman at that time.

In any event, it's quite unusual to find the SA awarded to a woman.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X