Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freikorps badge

Hi,
    I though this badge was related to the Freikorps,but a fellow collector told me it was worn by the East Prussian Grenschutz during the Weimar era?
    Does somebody know exactly what it is?
    Thanks!
    KLIK

It appears to be fashioned after the metal or cloth shield worn by the Grenzschutz Jaeger Battalion von Hiller which was a Freikorps outfit. I would say that it might be a badge worn by veterans of this unit. Pure speculation on my part.

Comment

This looks like one of the repros that can be found regularly on eBay.

Regards
      Mike
      Regards
      Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

This was known as the "German shield" of REGROST 17. Armeekorps (Reserve of Grenzschutz Ost). It was primarily armed civilian paramilitary groups and similar auxiliaries. I'd agree that this example is of recent manufacture.
        Last edited by VerKuilen Ager; 05-29-2008, 05:40 PM.

Comment

This is simply the "wappen", or coat of arms, of East Prussia, nothing more.

Comment

Four veterans of XVII Armeekorps, now in the 4th Reichswehr Infantry Regiment (early 1920s) wearing the badge. Sorry for the halftoned picture but I couldn't locate the original and scanned this out of my freikorps insignia book.
            Attached Files

Comment

DanZig Police Officer with German shield" of REGROST 17

Sorry for the quality of the scan

Danzig Police officer wearing the pin? Photo dated 1939
              Attached Files

Comment

Spencer - From the tiny photo, it resembles the Grenzshutz Ost badge... would it be possible to get a better close up? By 1934 Freikorps badges and almost all the related awards were banned by Hitler, although it wasn't always obeyed.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X