opinion before buying Freikorps items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinion before buying Freikorps items

what do you think about these two items?
    I'm going to buy them but before I'd prefer to have some opinions.

Thank you
    Canutt

HAMBURGER EINWOHNERWEHR

Comment

SOLDATEN-SIEDLUNGS-VERBAND KURLAND

Comment

Histaria will know. Do you have the reverse of the Hamburg insignia? for some reason, many of the Freikorps insignias are being faked these days.

I hope things like the medal are still safe. (Holding breath! )

Comment

this is the backside scan.

Comment

Hmm, I guess he missed it since you didn't put the SUBJECT in the subject line. I will change the thread title and see if we can catch him.

It is VERY important to be very SPECIFIC in new thread titles. If a catchy title DOESN'T catch my eye on my Patrol Rounds, I go right on by, unread... and so do lots of people who spend far less time here than I do.

Comment

The hollow-stamped pieces are tricky because they look so good. However, the Hamburg has been reproduced for some time and this example shows none of the aging you should expect.

Although kind of small to nit-pick on, the medal has the proper tone (even the ribbon has the characteristic dulling) so, at least at this distance, it looks pretty good.

Comment

See?

It worked!

Did I hear "ribbon bar" on another Forum?...

Comment

Thank you very much... to all of two.

Mario

Comment

Ok, the Hamburg is fake...
                    But you mean that the only difference between a fake and a good badge is the effects of the years. There's no other little particular that can help to see the difference?

It's an hard job to collect them...

Ciao
                    Mario

Comment

Well, I've never HANDLED one, so perghaps when he passes by Histaria can elaborate on the "feel" that builds up with that experience.

The thing with almost all this type of award or insignia is that they were NOT made by many makers over long years, but were churned out in a "low bid" one time order. There should not be "variants," and there would realistically be virtually no "mint unissued" ones.

Scans are often deceptive in EXACT color and texture, but very few kinds of metal with cheap finishes would survive more than 80 years without some sign of aging.

That's why fakes are usually "cleverly" OVER-aged, trying to hide newness and defects.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X