Are These Freikorps or ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are These Freikorps or ???

I think these chaps are Austrian Republican army @1925, but I might be wrong. Could they perhaps be Heimwehr/Austrian Freikorps? Not the tricolor red/white shield painted on the helmets.
    Can anybody help?
    Ta,
    JeMc

a close up...

Comment

The tunics are certainly the Austro-Hungarian model, but I don't recognize the insignia.

Still, I very much doubt they are Boy Scouts, since they are equipped with potato masher grenades and a machine gun!!!

The understated collar insignia and "shoot here" helmet shields ...

you know, I am almost inclined to think, looking at the close up, that the sloppy hand painted shields are a TRI and not a BI-color: red and green on either side of white.

Don't appear Hungarian, so could these be newly "Italian" types in the South Tyrol?

Might those be FASCES on their collars?

Will copy this from Imperial into International

Comment

Rick--that was the first thing that I thought--the crest of the front of the helmets sure looks Italian to me as well. They look tri painted to me as well, but I don't think that they were painted sloppy--meant to look that way--either that or the person that painted them sure made them look alike. Really interesing photo. Nice find!! Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X