Need some Identification please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some Identification please

I was strolling around the site finding all kinds of forums that I did not know were here. This is like a museum with its combined knowledge. Anyway, I saw an old soldier in uniform that the photo said was Freikorp officer. I noticed the collar rank was like a couple that I had in my box of whatever's I brought back from Germany many years ago. A few years back some gentleman said they were Forestry and so I did not think further on it, that is until today with seeing the photo. I know you guys know your onions so I am asking. Here is the photo of the soldier and my leaf insignias. Is it correct to say these are Freikorp ranks or is it Forestry, or both?

0diXBSsOqM2z133874653088P5433[1].jpg
    20200811_210640.jpg

Yes Freikorps, and based on his shoulder boards, a captain and an army Beamter (administrative official). His ribbon bar indicates that he's likely Prussian. So, the unit to which he belonged was Freiwilligen Landesjägerkorps / Freikorps Maercker. See Post #28 in the following link.

https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...t-badges/page2

In any case, because he also has an oakleaf wreath on his hat, he was in the Provisional Reichswehr (Vorläufige Reichswehr) which existed between June 1 and October 31, 1919.

So, as a member of Freiwilligen Landesjägerkorps, when this picture was taken he had transitioned to Reichswehr-Brigade 16, but still retained his Freikorps insignia which they continued to wear well into 1920.
    Last edited by Brian L.; 08-12-2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much, I was lost when to came to this part of history. I will ask more as I dig around in my storage boxes and find stuff. Back in 1996 I had a ton of stuff and my art studio burned which a great deal of things were lost, what was salvaged were thrown together in storage bins. I have been slowly going thru things to find out what I still had.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X